L.E.T.S. do it!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
An example of a LETS scheme

Local Exchange and Trading Scheme
Just to sum up it is an example of a cashless economy where people exchange services. You advertise what you have to offer, it could be babysitting, translating, lending your car, gardening, or whatever, and the scheme allocates a value to the service in units which are the 'virtual currency' of the scheme. Each scheme has its own 'currency'. In Oxford where I used to live it was a 'spoke' as in bicycle spokes.

You notch up credits on a central register or debits if you use others' services. I have no direct experience myself but people I know who are active in LETS schemes are very enthusiastic.

Any suggestions on what DR1ers could offer? Seriously though, it is a system that lends itself to this medium and we could easily set one up if enough were interested. We have to think of a quintessentially Dominican name for the scheme (trueque?) and for the currency unit. Any ideas?

Chiri

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
1st THINGS 1st!!!!!!!!!!

Before you guys start...........
Keep it clean!!!!
I know what some of you are getting ready to trade!!!!!!!!!

Tim H.:cool:

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Re: 1st THINGS 1st!!!!!!!!!!

Timex said:
Before you guys start...........
Keep it clean!!!!
I know what some of you are getting ready to trade!!!!!!!!!

Tim H.:cool:

~~~~~~~~~~

LOL:cool:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dare I ask?

What are you offering, Jazz?

I can offer interpreting and translation services... and I need a babysitter.

Chiri

pamela1

May 21, 2003
That's brilliant!

Hey, I think that is ideal! What a good idea.
Are you going to post all the offers and takers on the forum? Will you list what people are giving and taking there?
I would like to take part in the summer time.
I am not really picky with the type of work I do but I am afraid i really don't have much to offer.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Dare I ask?

Chirimoya said:
What are you offering, Jazz?

I can offer interpreting and translation services... and I need a babysitter.

Chiri

Condo Rental in the DR? Someone can stay there that can provide other goods and services to others in the DR including myself.

Real Estate, business and financial Consulting and negotiation. I am really very good at this. Not many people better at putting deals together. I am one of the best in finding alternative ways to skin the cat.

I have officially retired by the way. No more office hours for me anymore. Still have loose ends to tie up and that may take a couple of years to completely get done but nothing pressing or bothersome these days.

I can even offer up one of my DR wives that AZB has promised me to do something or other. Heck I can offer the wife I got in the states to do Speech Therapy and Rehab Counseling there. Can probably do cases via the internet in Rehab. She is a professional witness for Social Security Hearings and Appeals and she does this by getting folders delivered to the house reviewing the cases, writing reports and appearing in court.

Hows my offerings?

Last edited:

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
LETS Schemes.

Funny you should mention LETS Schemes. I was an active member of one in England, where the "currency" was Rugs, as it operated in the town of Rugby. Not very original, but I wasn't responsible for that decision. It doesn't matter too much what the unit is called, but the system can work very well. In that scheme, everyone's time was regarded as of equal value, regardless of what skills or services they were offering, with any additional out of pocket expenses being covered by the recipient, of course. It was a good scheme, but like most things, a few people did most of the work and we had a small committee to run it, although with the internet the admin could be simplified, I think.

I was only thinking recently about the possibility of trying to set up something similar here, as I've a bit of time on my hands, a few skills, but very little dosh (money for those who don't know this English expression). I'm based in Cabarete, so if anyone is interested in getting together to throw around a few ideas, let me know.