mobile phones

user

May 8, 2003
hi,does anyone know if mobile phones can be rented for one week in Santo Domingo?I'll be there for one week starting June 7.
Thanks.,Ray

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
user said:
hi,does anyone know if mobile phones can be rented for one week in Santo Domingo?I'll be there for one week starting June 7.
Thanks.,Ray

If you'd be willing to rent a phone for say, $40 US for a week plus the calling card time, then you can go to any Orange outlet and <B>buy</B> their lowest cost phone for about RD$990 - RD$1100 including RD$100 of time. I would think "rentals" on a per week rate plus the calling time would exceed that. So while it sounds crazy it is true.

You can take it home and use it with the right provider - just need a US SIM card.

I was in Boca Chica 8 days ago and bought a phone for RD$1100 when I went back to see if they had other models the one I bought was RD$990.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
So let's say I wanted to upgrade my Tmobile cell phone I could go to an Orange store in the DR and buy their phones and then switch the memory cards from my current tomobile to the orange phone and it should work in the U.S.

Sometimes to buy just the phone in the U.S. can get to be really expensive.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Very Likely This Will Work

kjdrga said:
So let's say I wanted to upgrade my Tmobile cell phone I could go to an Orange store in the DR and buy their phones and then switch the memory cards from my current tomobile to the orange phone and it should work in the U.S.

Sometimes to buy just the phone in the U.S. can get to be really expensive.

The next cheapest phone was a GSM/TriBand Nokia for RD$2,850 so figure only $95US still a pretty good deal with no commitment, or locking. I think you still need to get a USA SIM card but that seems to be the total brains of the phone.