Residency expiration

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I made a booboo. I was thinking that I needed to apply for my perminant residency 1 year after tyhe day I recieved my card. I just looked at the card and its expired! seems that it was 1 year from the date I applied for the card. So now the temp. residency expired in Feb. Is this going to be a problem? I'll go and get everything done this week. Just wondering if I'm going to have a problem now.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Don't worry, Jan. The authorities are very lenient on this. Get your documentation together and file for your permanent residency.

The most common problem with the application for permanent residency is for people who "speeded up" the process when obtaining their provisional residency and paid (or had their lawyer pay) somebody in the inside to do it really fast. Usually these persons' files are empty (no medical tests, no letter of guarantee, no Interpol check, etc.) and they get caught upon review of their permanent residency application.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Not really, since permanent residencies are subject to renewal.

The worst time to speed up residencies is, of course, before a national election and a possible change of administration. I remember when the PLD won in 1996 that some lawyers went to jail and many "residents" had to do their residencies all over again from scratch.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I don't know how many times I have told people that it's just not worth fast tracking your paperwork. I know a few people that have had to start again when they have gone to get their permanent residency or gone to renew their permanent residency. You need to get yourself a lawyer that does it by the book and doesn't skip steps with RD$500 bills.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Temporary Residence

So we all dived into our wallets and purses and checked out our own Permiso Residencia Temporal cards!!
Lucky us - our Fecha Expiracion is exactly 1 year after the date we received our original cards.
Phew! For a moment there we had visions of dashing off to SD!
It would seem that there are glitches in the system and not all temporary residency periods are calculated from the same start point of the proceedings.
Good thread though as it started us off thinking - and good to hear that there is leniency on the part of the authorities.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I was able to enter the DR on my expired Residency card. It had expired while I was out of the country. All I got was a funny look and told to renew it when I had time, they let me in just fine. I didn't even have to give a "propina".

To renew it I just went to the migration place (is that right) and it took all of 1/2 hour. It was so simple.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Jan, the affidavits must be notarized and authenticated.

Jazzcom, this is not another Dominican "special situation". It happens everywhere. A residency applicant who cheats or commits fraud in his application is subject to have his residency revoked later. In the US, for example, even naturalized citizens have lost their citizenship status decades after obtaining it for having lied in their applications (notorious cases: war criminals from the II World War).