How Much Can I bring home ?

leopardlady

Apr 30, 2003
Going to the D.R. soon.

Does anyone know how much alcohol one is permitted to return to the States with ?

(We have a lot of relatives!) :confused:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Wel...

It really depends. Maybe it's just a luck thing but one time I brought 20 bottles of Brugal and 15 of Presidente (the Big ones).

;)

:cool:

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Don't despair!

leopardlady I don't know where you live but if you run out of Brugal and absolutely must have some, you can do so online.

Sam's Wine & Liquors in Chicago sells Barcelo and Brugal rums and will ship as little as a single bottle right to your door. More expensive, but worth it if you just gotta have it.

Just click on the link below.

Sam's Wine & Liquors

Swede

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi leopardlady,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

If you are returning directly from the D.R to the U.S.A. each travelling adult is entitled to a $600.00 customs exemption which may include two liters of alcoholic beverages, as long as one of the liters was produced in the D.R.

If your customs is like ours in Canada then you may bring virtually any amount over this amount as long as you declare it and are prepared to pay the appropriate duty and taxes. I brought back 9 litres in May and they only charged me duty, etc. on 3.5 litres so I made out like a bandit.

Hope it all works out for you.

Gregg

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Guess now we'll will bring along an empty suitcase with us

Leopardlady, Here?s an idea! Fill that empty suitcase with crayons, pencils, pens, coloring books, paper, used clothing, any medical supplies, or anything else you can think!! There are many locals on this board that will be happy to distribute them, or tell you where you can take them. We do that and then fill the suitcase with tasty Santo Domingo Coffee!!
If you are going to Puerto Plata, email BushBaby for help in distributing them!
John

Last edited:

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
I have brought enough with or in me to puke in Miami. In my younger years I'm sure I was the most hungover person on the plane. The up side of your question is at least your're not asking if you can bring a boyfriend/girlfriend back with you.

leopardlady

Apr 30, 2003
T.G.I.F. everyone !

johnsr - good idea - I would love to make some little kids happy over there with some "goodies" -

kenosha - I'm married - and anyway, I don't need those kind of complications....so even if I was single, the only thing I'd bring home to the states would be...................

liquor !! :D :D :D

Drugdog

Mar 28, 2003
BRUGAL / Customs

Leopardlady,

Have made the US Customs search 3 times since 9/11. Have brought back between 12 and 16 liters back. Cleared customs in 3 cities and never had a problem. The best one was a customs guy and an army security guy looking at all the rum and asking if they could come to the party.

When you pack your stash suitecase with stuff for the Dominicans be sure and pack BUBBLE WRAP and TAPE. Would hate to see Brugal dripping all over the pretty carpet in the luggage claims area.

If you don't hook up with one of the DR1 people to drop off school supplies, we always take a taxi to a local school and present the items to the teacher.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Definitely put the booze in zip lock baggies!

Customs opened one of my bottles of mamajuana and half of it leaked out. Luckily, I had had the presence of mind to have all my booze in zip lock baggies.

It would also be great if you could bring over some educational or medical supplies. I found a local nursing clinic in my area and they graciously gave me supplies which filled all of my checked baggage. BushBaby was a doll and helped me distribute the supplies. I would definitely do it again. Hopefully, you will be lucky enough to find a generous source in your area.

Tondra

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
2 bottles

Its 2 bottles that customs will allow you to bring through. I brought a gallon of mamajuana through yesterday that my friend Marco from Rockys (i know many of you know him) was kind enough to give me and I was a little worried that if customs in NY checked my bag they would freak at the sight of it and confiscate it but they didnt check. I am having a nip of it right now :).
Larry