Best PC Hotel for Young Kids?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Hi guys. As many know, I'm finally returning to the DR after 4 yrs absence, and this time I get to play tourist instead of resident!!!:cool:

Although I lived in the DR 1995-99 and visited it annually 1986-94, believe it or not (pun on the family name intended!;) ) I've never been to Punta Cana. My wife wants us to start our 3-wk DR trip next month with 5-7 days R&R in PC, to unwind from much accumulated work tension (chill out) , before we head off to visit relatives & friends 24/7 in SD.

My problem is, we'll be traveling with my 12-yr old twins. I've done my due diligence research in the archives & resort reviews here and on Debbie's, but frankly have found little useful info on which PC hotels are best for a mid-40s couple with two 12 yrs olds. When kids are mentioned at all, it's usually teenagers near legal age. Not the same interests, my friends, not the same.

Anyone here have any useful suggestions for a hotel that would keep both parents & kids happy?

I might add that we need something that doesn't break the bank. :confused: Furthermore, since we're going from PC on to SD, and then afterward to Samana, Cabarete & Sosua-PP, with POP departure, we don't seem to qualify for most package deals & charters are out.:angry:

After much frustrating web research & talking to travel agents here in the DC area who seem clueless about the DR, I am getting to the point where I wonder if it's worth including PC in our travel plans.... But my wife has her heart set on it, so I must at least try.

So if anyone out there has firsthand experience with this situation, or knows well a friend or family member who has been through this, please share any tips you can!

Thanks,
Keith the Frazzled :tired:

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Try these

Since you live in DC, pick up a copy of the New York Times Sunday edition and flip ot the Travel section. They usually have lots of travel agencies adverstising package deals to Punta Cana. One of the most frequent advertisers seems to be Liberty Travel.

Here in DR, I have used a local travel agent who often quotes pretty reasonable prices for DR resorts. You should ask them to quote and lock in prices for you in PESO because by the time you fly down, it'll be cheaper in US$ terms.

Talk to:

Edison Ure?a
(809)565-6249

Extension: 229

The guy speaks decent English.

Hope that helps!

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Thanks for the kind tip about Eddy, Formosano. I'll check that out. It doesn't matter whether he speaks English or not -- I speak Spanish, as does my wife (dominicana).

The problem wasn't so much finding a PC package -- there are tons of them on the internet -- it was finding a good one for the kids that came at a decent price....

Best Regards,
Keith

P.S. Please excuse my curiousity :rolleyes: , but your moniker is unusual -- is it formosano as in Taiwan, or as in Formosa Province, Arg.?

Last edited:

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
For ease of price comparison:

http://www.eddystours.com/hoteles.htm

As far as kids-friendly and other subtler points, I'm afraid even the travel agency wouldn't be able to help you unless they themselves have taken their kids there or have got feedback from their clients.

Have you checked the "Resort Review" section on DR1 and sort through them all ? It might prove to be somewhat helpful.

Do your kids have special needs/interests that ordinary beach resorts can't cater to ?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Formosano2000 said:
For ease of price comparison:

http://www.eddystours.com/hoteles.htm

Have you checked the "Resort Review" section on DR1 and sort through them all ? It might prove to be somewhat helpful.

Do your kids have special needs/interests that ordinary beach resorts can't cater to ?
As I indicated in my first post, I checked first with the reviews, archives in both DR1 & Debbie's, before posting here. That's actually what raised my doubts about some of the resorts being anything but a big bore for two 12 yr olds. Ever spend a week with 2 very bored kids???? Since Punta Cana is essentially only the hotels, the hotel we pick would seem to be a crucial decision. But maybe I worry too much...

Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.

Regards,
Keith

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
keith i think you worry too much.

after 4 years away, if your boys have any affiliation to water, then 5-7 days of swimming, sailing, kayaking, scuba lessons etc. should keep them occupied. (not to mention the European sunbathers around the pool ;) .) although i can't speak directly about PC hotels, the activities programs in the hotel chains are pretty standard and offer something for all age groups, even at night.

mob (with 10 and 4 yr old boys-now try and keep them occupied--twins are a cinch.)

ps. please send regards on to natasha for me. has she had her baby yet?

Ajena

Jun 6, 2003
I spent X-mas in Punta Cana, we stayed at the Melia Carib Tropical, and I am planning on coming back last week in Agust with the family again.

Your kids will love it, great hotel, the golf +or -, but the kids will have a good time. My children had a blast, (14 and 11) activities all day and nigth for all ages, the pool too big for you to keep track of them.

We had a rule, every day must have dinner and breaskfast together, after that, they can be on their own. My daugther who is 14,,, was my big concern and at nigth time I kept an eye on her when she was going to the "disco".