need advice

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
Hey all!! I am going out to Santiago next month and I am staying with my family that I have not seen in over 10 years , now my problem is this ...... I bank with Citibank and I have just learned that my citibank cash card has a MasterCard logo and is not supported by th Citibank in Santiago or the Capitol so I need to take cash. Now my problem is that I am going to stay in different houses while I stay in DR and they are all pulling me from different directions .....where do I keep my $$$$ should I change it all and open a bank a/c .....should I leave it here and have my MOM withdraw and wire me ? I am concerned because if I leave it in different houses and I go far ..I will have to lug around with USD every where I go...Not a good idea .... so what should I do? open an account ? or take travelers checks and if I take travelers checks do I take them in hundreds?

Last edited:

LazyGirl

Jan 12, 2002
I also bank with citibank and when I visited the DR last year I was able to use my citibank card with the mastercard logo on it as if it were a credit card and on a couple of occasions I used it to take money out of the ATM machine...maybe things changed since last year but I doubt u'll have a problem using your card.

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
citibank =calle del sol in santiago

I called citibank on calle del sol (sp) and the teller said that they did not support the one w/ M/C logo only the one w/ visa logo.....which is strange since m/c & visa are treated the same only Amex would be different ..i think.... But I am going to take a chance and go w/ my cash card..+ some cash. Thanks for the response.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think you will have any problems

And if you do, please give me a call?

I'll pull you in another direction...No really, we can always go across the street to the Banco Popular and get something done for you , or over to the Banco de Santa Cruz...

As Oprah would say: "Honey, in my town we can fix anything."

Email me for phone number..

HB

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Can you apply to get a card with the visa logo on it? Otherwise you could take traveller checks and cash and just keep it on you at all times.

My atm card has a mastercard logo even though it isn't with citibank but because the atms support the same logos that are on the back of the card like Star, cirrcus, Most.

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
cirrus...star etc

Yes my card has those logos..... HB.....Thanks I'll PM before I leave to tell you where I will be staying...I am schedule to arrive July 10...God permitting;) I definitely will be staying in Santiago, and a campo named Lahas de yaroa (sp) ?.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
lindalyn said:
my citibank cash card has a MasterCard logo and is not supported by th Citibank in Santiago or the Capitol so I need to take cash.

My check/cash card from my local bank here in central Illinois also has the MasterCard logo. It has been accepted without any problems during my trips to the DR in 2002 and 2003.

Matter of fact, I got most of my cash from a small Banco Popular branch office located inside theYOMA supermarket in San Francisco de Macor?s. They did ask for my passport as ID, however. I also used the same card as a credit card for hotel rooms a few times.

You shouldn't have any problems, but I'm sure that HB will steer you in the right direction if you do. :)

Swede

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
Thank You ALL

I thank ALL OF YOU! for your responses.You all gave me very helpful information, now I can go and not worry about leaving my cash in relatives houses... You know how that goes...all of a sudden everyone needs something :)

I rather leave $$$ in the bank and withdraw as i need to, I feel I can control my spending this way. Thanks again guys!!