immigration office in Puerto Plata?

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
The other day I heard, that there is now an immigration office in Puerto Plata.
Does anybody know, where exactly is it?
And, can there be done the complete process to aply for residency without needing to drive twice or more times to Santo Domingo?
I suppose to legalize translated papers, like bith certificate, to do the medical test and to get the paper needed from the police, the applicant still has to go to Santo Domingo? Or can this all be done now in Puerto Plata, too?
Thanks in advance for you info!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The Office is situated in the Governors offices next door to the Police Station in Luis Ginebra. As of last week, NO you can't get your residency organised from up here - trips to Santo Domingo are still necessary!! There ARE computers in the Puerto Plata office & they are linked to Santo Domingo. There is the computer linked photgraph machine too, but for some reason they still can't link this up to communicate with Migracion down in the Capital!!

Pay the girl as visit (she is happy to receive visitors for something to do & she is VERY helpful) & I am sure she will give you the reasons why she can't connect her computer so as to complete residency from up here - Maybe next year (or the year after or ......). - Grahame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I just renewed my cedula in Santo Domingo because I was told that all foreigners had to do so there.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Sorry Scottuy - The girl in there says 'NO' this is not possible at the moment, you still have to go to Santo Domingo. Quite honestly, apart from giving general advice & support in times of adversity (& there will be much of that!!) I don't know why they have opened this "Brancg Office" as nothing gets done up here!! Must be 'Jobs for the Boys'!!! - Grahame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You are right about "jobs for the boys", BB. The more jobs are filled, the more votes for the party.

When I renewed by cedula in Santo Domingo, there were about 8 employees in the office, only one of whom was working. I had to pass from one to the other, but all their job consisted of was passing me on.