sosua

roxanna2001

Jun 7, 2003
We will be visiting Sosua Bay Hotel in August. It is our second trip to DR and would be interested to hear from any locals in the area or ex-pats who have started a business there. Thank you.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Roxanna,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

Three come to mind, right off.

Barb & Linden from Calgary own the Brittania Pub.

Marco from Montreal owns Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar and Hotel. www.rockysbar.com

Eddy, a retired cop from Northern Quebec, owns Eddy's Sports Bar and Condos Dominicano. http://www.eddysportsbar.com and http://www.condosdominicano.com/

All are located in Sosua within a 10 minute (+/-) walk from your hotel.

I am sure there are others but this is a start.

Gregg

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Get out of that all inclusive and take a walk around town and for right now, you'll see more businesses closing than opening.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I just came back from sosua and its pretty dead. What do you mean you want to hear from people who have started a buisness there? Do what KenoshaChris said and walk around the town a few days when you are there. Look in the restaurants and see how empty they are. Go into a few bars and talk to the bartenders and see if you can strike up a freindly conversation with the owners. Maybe you will find out some of the information you are looking for that way.
Larry

roxanna2001

Jun 7, 2003
Sosua Replies

Thanks for your helpful information and advice, we do intend getting out of the resorts and exploring a bit further, we were thinking of buying a business over there which was why I was asking for information. At the moment we are just looking at the feasibility, your warnings have been noted.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Sosua Replies

roxanna2001 said:
Thanks for your helpful information and advice, we do intend getting out of the resorts and exploring a bit further, we were thinking of buying a business over there which was why I was asking for information. At the moment we are just looking at the feasibility, your warnings have been noted.
I wouldn't advise it at the moment nor let you think it wouldn't be a struggle Sosua is suffering right now from a lack of tourists. I don't know anyone that is getting wealthy there at the moment. Most people are just hanging in. As Tourism turns so does Sosua including real estate.

On the Other Hand...

Best time to start or buy is when the market is at the bottom. I have started buying real estate in Sosua HOPING that I picked the market bottom which no one ever really knows. So it just MAY be the right time if you want to Gamble just as I am albeit I have only bought a lot in a gated community and a Condo so far. I think I have been getting real good deals and that limits my exposure a "Little". The lot I bought was from someone in Germany who paid 36k for it a few years ago and sold it to me for 15k. I think that the Condo also went for more money but I am not sure about that one all I know is that I bought it under what I thought was market value.

Hope this helps!