Cellular Service

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
Hello all,

First, a thanks to all who contribute to this board. You have kept me in touch for the last couple of years, while I have been unable to travel.

I'm back on track and expect to return to Sto. Domingo in late August. On my previous visits, I have always rented a cellular telephone at the airport, upon my arrival. I would like to know if either AT&T or Sprint service provided in the northeast USA affords reliable cellular service in the DR.

Also, I believe I read that "Sprint" phones can be easily activated in the DR. If anyone can confirm this and provide details as to how and where I can go about this it would be appreciated.

If none of the above is possible, I would like some input as to the best way to have cellular service available, assuming that I intend to visit about every other month.

Thanks again...

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
any phone can be activated except (TDMA cheap technology ) depending on your budget renting can be a bit pricey you'll do a lot better bringing one of those cell phones you have around the house make sure is not (TDMA TECHNOLOGY)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Ruffino1974 said:
Hello all,

If none of the above is possible, I would like some input as to the best way to have cellular service available, assuming that I intend to visit about every other month.

Thanks again...

If you come regularly and don't want to pay Sprint roaming fees and/or activation in the DR of a US phone just spend $45 or so on a Orange phone, brand new and use with Orange cards. Even the odd call back to the US won't break the bank.

I use a pay as you go Codetel phone the same way - if it gives up the ghost I'll get a new Orange phone. Even the good ones like 3 band Nokias are RD$2900 or barely $95 now with RD$100 thrown in and thus rental etc. for more than a token amount of time is more than buying new.

The cards are good to 90 days (to make calls, another advantage of the DR phoes is you pay NOTHING to receive calls from anywahere, even if the card has run out) , more sometimes and can be reloaded on the next trip so I carry my CDN phone and shut it off in Miami and then use my Codetel phone once I am there.

Last edited:

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
Thanks for the replies.

Rick,
sounds like the purchase of a new "orange phone" and service will fit the bill. Would you please provide any information as to the best location to get the phone/service. I will be flying into Las Americas airport, so if there is a retail location there or nearby that would be easiest. If not, I will have a car and will be staying in a hotel on the malecon in walking distance to El Conde.

Thanks...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
No idea

Sorry - SDQ airport has a Codetel place but the Orange shops are ubiquitous so I think you will do OK in the capitol, Boca Chica has 2 ( 1 in Andres) so I have to think SD has a ton.

Maybe SDQ has an Orange, I'd bet if Codetel is in there they won't be but you can ask. Codetel may have chapo phones too, of course.

If you want basic go for the Motorola without the clock in it , last time I was there in May they were 990-1100 RD$.

Once again Googling helps: go HERE: then pick Santo Domingo fro the pull-down:

http://www.orange.com.do/orange_shop/resultados.jsp

for a list fo the 100 or so dealers.

Here's the El Conde one:

France M?vil 688-1798 Conde Esq. S?nchez #301

Last edited: