Buying A Home

mageetg

Jun 8, 2003
I AM INTERESTED IN BUYING A HOME IN THE DR. BUT AFTER READING SOME OF THE VIEWS I AM NOW GETTING MIXED VIBES ABOUT THE IDEA. CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE BEST AREAS AND IF THERE ARE ANY AREAS A SHOULD DEFINATELY STAY AWAY FROM. ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT WOULD BE BEST TO BUY AN APARTAMENT IN A COMPLEX OR A DETTACHED VILLA.

ALL VIEWS WELCOMED.;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Sosua/Cabarete area would be a good place to start your search. It is a very pleasant area in which to live, good services are close at hand, and there is much less risk of hurricanes on the North Coast than on South Coast.

A surprising number of Americans have been buying homes here recently. For now they will be vacation homes, but in time very possibly retirement homes.

If you are interested, I can highly recommend Dean Brown, the Century 21 representative for the North Coast. He is a straight shooter. You can contact him at wandabrown@codetel.net.do

Both condos and houses have their advantages. Especially if you are not going to be living full time in your purchase, I would recommend you consider a condo, an apartment or a house in a development/complex where security and maintenance services are provided.

My wife and I have been living in the DR for 17 years. We would not have been here so long if we were uncomfortable about living here.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The DR is a wonderful place to live & in due course own a home!! The advise is simply to come here & RENT for a year so that you can get to lnow the country, get to know the culture, get to know the way things are done here AND to make sure that the area you choose is the right area for you!!! You can't do all that in two weeks - Honestly!!!

I agree with Ken, the north coast is the more appealing area for Ex-Pats, nice cool breezes, less rain & less likelyhood of hurricanes! There are a few more supermarkets in the Puerto Plata area but Cabarete is becoming a very nice little town if you are prepared to travel 30 miles to Puerto Plata for the weekly shop!!

Please, PLEASE spend at least 6 months living here before buying - you will find it saves you a hell of a lot of money & frustration!!! - Grahame.

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
Depending what you intend to do in the DR.

I do not know the North, but most people agree it is the best area for retirement, and probably for vacation.

If you have to make some money in the DR, maybe the story will be somewhat different.

Barnab?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
BushBaby said:
There are a few more supermarkets in the Puerto Plata area but Cabarete is becoming a very nice little town if you are prepared to travel 30 miles to Puerto Plata for the weekly shop!!

I live in Sosua and enjoy the convenience of the El Playero supermarket, equal in size to those in Puerto Plata. If I am in Puerto Plata and it is convenient, I may pick up a few items that the supermarket here is temporarily out of, but otherwise all the grocery-shopping needs of our family are met very nicely in Sosua.