Help I need ideas

Stephanie

Jun 9, 2003
Hi Everyone, I just found this site and it is going to be a life saver for me......Planning a trip in July to Santo Domingo to meet boyfriends family (long story) and wondering what I can bring as little gifts that they may not have in DR from the states. Any ideas would be helpful as he has never been here to know what we have!

erozon

Jun 9, 2003
www.shopdr.com
It all depends. Are they poor, middle class, upper middle class, etc.?

I would advise against getting each member of the family a gift. If he has little brothers and sisters still in the DR don't get them anything. They may not like what you get them. Dominicans are hard to please.

Or just get them something "touristy" and inexpensive like a T-shirt that says "NYPD" (if you're from NYC)...or a baseball hat...or whatever.

Why don't you ask your boyfriend what to get his parents? He should know.

Stephanie

Jun 9, 2003
thanks for the input..... I guess I am just stuck on ideas, I dont want to show up empty-handed but perhaps I am trying to be too original. They are a middle class family.... I was thinking along the lines of a coffetable like book on Michigan (with lots of pictures so they can get an idea of where I come from), for the 2 younger nephews some novelty candy and not really sure what else I thought of the sports teams t shirts and such but since everyone pretty much sucks this year in Detroit I thought maybe not so good of an idea..............

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Even though you are from Detroit they would probably love NYPD type of stuff since nueva york is the capital of the U.S. to most Dominicans. You could also bring them perhaps so portable CD players so the boys could listen to their music, like jazzcom said anything that has to do with Domincan baseball players is cool, even if it's a cubs baseball hat. If they are into baseball you could buy them a glove and bat and a couple of balls.

Coffe table book is a good idea, you could also put together a photo album for his parents of you two and the types of places you have been and pictures of him in different places that way they can show him off to others when people ask about how their son is.

Also maybe a nice table cloth for the dining room table, or a fruit bowl or vase of some sort where you could place either fresh or silk flowers, women love that type of stuff, and you could bring the father a nice colgne or bottle of whiskey (that you can pickup at duty free)