Safety in DR

cadaha

Jun 10, 2003
My wife and I are supposed to be moving to the DR in the next 4 weeks. We are hoping to move to an area between Sosua and Cabarete. We have recently read two guides to the area and because of the information contained in the books we are now reconsidering the move.

We have heard that the local male population are aggressive and abusive to females; that prostitues acost males and that the Police regularly stop drivers and demand bribes.

As I would be taking up a post as a Diving Instructor my wife would be alone at home during the day and the information from the publications has made me worried for her safety.

If anyone could tell me what it really is like to live there I would be eternally grateful as this information could make the difference to whether we continue with our plans or not.

Regards

Carl

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
cadaha

I have been to sosua 5 times have never experienced those things on that extreme a scope. Prostitutes are in certain parts of sosua and when you identify these areas..aviod them if you wish. Dominican males wont badger your wife and she will be safe at home while you are working. Make sure you wear you seatbelt while driving or you might be summonsed. Other than that I just drove all over the north coast and through santiago and jarabacoa for a total of 5 days and was never bothered. Be observant and aware of your surroundings and use common sense. You and your wife will be fine.
Larry

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My wife and I have been living in the DR since 1986, and in Sosua for the past 3 years. I know a number of other expatriates who live in Sosua, Cabareate, and in between. If this was an unpleasant place to live, few if any of us would still be here.

Local males are not aggressive and abusive to females, unless by that you mean they make a passing comment in admiration of their beauty, sort of the DR equivalent on the wolf whistle. Those who do this do it with any attractive female, whether foreign or Dominican. Do what Dominican females do, just ignore it and keep on with what you are doing.

If you are walking around town late at night and are by yourself, a prostititue might approach you. But if you are here with your wife, I assume like me and my friends you will be at home late at night and not roaming the streets.

You will seldom be stopped by police, providing your sticker is up to date. Once in a while you may be asked for money, but this is not a regular thing and it is not directed only at foreigners. Being a foreigner you have an advantage in being able to act like you don't understand Spanish.

Sounds like you and your wife have a good opportunity. A lot of people write to this board wondering how to get such an opportunity. Stop reading and start packing.

cadaha

Jun 10, 2003
Thank you for your replies, this has eased our worries somewhat.

Any advice about property purchase, opening bank accounts and residency would be most appreciated plus information on any places where expats meet would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
An American expatriate from North Carolina, Dean Brown, is the Century 21 representative for the North Coast. I highly recommend that you work with him on the search for property. You can trust him. Email him at wandabrown@codetel.net.do

For help with your residency, you can't go wrong with Fabio Guzman, the attorney who answers questions to the Legal section of this board. His offices are in Sosua and a large portion of his clientel is expatriates and foreign investors. His website is www.drlawer.com and you can email him at info@drlawyer.com

Banco Popular would be a good choice. It has offices in both Sosua and Cabarete. It is one of the best banks in the DR.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Safety

Listen to the people who live here. Horlicks to the guide books! Horlicks to the negative doom mongers!
It's a great place! People are friendly, too much so in some cases. (Never will get used to being hugged by the barman or the waiter in our favourite watering holes, or kissed on the cheek every morning by the house maid - but then we are Brits and don't do this touchy stuff)!!
Life does have it's ups and downs in the DR but no more so than other places in the world.
We love it down here, but we are in Cabarete and that's a really great place.
Have mailed you with our contact - should your wife need the female view she can speak to my wife.
Look forward to sharing a Presidente with you.
Peter & Alex

cadaha

Jun 10, 2003
Once again thanks for your replies. Looks like we'll be joining you all over there!!!

DR Here we come.;)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
cadaha,let me welcome you both to the DR!

I would like you to keep posting once you arrive.As a couple coming to live in the DR without much knowledge of what to expect when you arrive,it would be interesting to hear what you think.Those of us who live,and or work here, always encourage people to visit many times before coming to live.Most people don't listen,and later comment that they wished they had.One family moved here only to realize that the medical care their daughter needed was not available.They soon left.I think your experiences would be very interesting,and valuable to others who may choose to follow in your footsteps! Good luck,and please keep us "posted"!Cris Colon

cadaha

Jun 10, 2003
We would be happy to post our experience on the forum.

Post 1. Background and preparation.

We are a couple (41 & 31) with no family ties and a modest regular income from the UK.

We are moving to the DR to escape the declining quality of life here.

We have two small dogs called Bumpy and Biscuit (don't ask).

I will be taking up a position as a Diving Instructor in Sosua (hopefully). I am also a software developer and web designer so if know of any opportunities in this area please let me know.

We are negotiating the purchase of a Villa between Cabarete and Sosua.

So far the process has run smoothly with the only hiccup being obtaining a Bank account where I can have my Naval Pension paid into. We were told that you cannot open an account unless you are a resident. We were also told that you cannot obtain residency unless you have a bank account (catch 22). We have managed to get an offshore account here. If you know different please let us know.

We are finding it time consuming trying to get everything tied in together so that it all happens at the right time i.e house sale; dogs export certificate; innoculations; birth certificates; police reports; flights; removals etc (it's a bit like trying to cook a complicated meal and wanting all the ingredients to be ready at the same time).

The date of departure is looking like four weeks from now (if everything goes according to plan).

We will update this post as the time to depart gets closer.

See you all soon.

Adios (learning spanish so here's the first word).:cool:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Just curious

But why are you negotiating the purchase of a Villa when you know nothing about what and where you are buying?
Larry

cadaha

Jun 10, 2003
We are not going to purchase anything until we are there. We will be renting for a month or so until we are sure that the Villa is what we want. The negotiations are to do with price and monthly payments. (Owner financing)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
good

Just making sure. Bushbaby gave me good advice when I met him. He told me not to buy a residence until you have lived in the country for at least 6 months and to live in several places before you actually buy one. Rents are cheap in the DR so you can take your time.

There is a wealth of information here on DR1. Take your time and drink it all in before you commit to anything. Good luck. :)
Larry

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
This is interesting...

I know the poster was asking about safety in Sosua, but how about Santo Domingo?

As you all know, I'm on my way to live and work there...which wasn't my first choice but it's where the jobs are...

My daughter is a little apprehensive about the fact that I will be there by myself...and she has planted a little seed in my head about me walking, taking buses or 'carros publicos' or whatever to go to and from work, and just safety in general...

I have looked at a couple of apartment offers right on the Malec?n because that's as close to the ocean as I can get in SD...

How about it guys??? I know about being careful just as I would living here...But does anybody have any special suggestions?

Anything else I should be aware of before the move?

I'm still going...nothing is going to stop this from happening...but I just want to cover all the bases...

Thanks!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I am retired US Navy.

I have my pension direct deposited into my personal checking account in Boston Massachusetts.I can then have the safety of a US Bank,and can cash a check here when I need money!I write the check in US Dollars,and the "Casa de Cambio",Exchange House,will give me US Dollars,or Dominican pesos.
I have a credit card,"HUGE" monthly interest charges here,and a checking acct.with Banco de Reservas.I have no residency,or anything else here.I am an "Illegal Alien" like most "Ex-Pats" living here!
I "rented" for a year before I bought.My personal advice would be to do the same! "Act in Haste,Repent at Leisure!!!"
Read:"The Mainers Are Leaving" at the "Top" of this Forum!
The economic situation in the DR right now can only be called "Precarious"!(Read the "DR1 Daily News"every day!)Anyone who "claims" to know where it,the economy, is headed ,"Can't!"
"Cash" is KING! Your "Pounds Sterling"will keep you in the game.
Take EVERYTHING slow!
When a man with money,meets a man with experience,the man with the experience usually ends up with the money,and the man with the money, ends up with the experience!!!!!!
"Trust In God"! Let All Others pay cash!!
It will probably cost you twice as much to live here as you have estimated!!!
Cris Colon

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree with Cris, don't have your pension check deposited here. Once you are here you can make a contact with one of the exchange houses and they will accept your personal checks. I am certain someone in the dive shop you will work for can make the introduction. They undoubtedly use one of the money changers when they want to buy or sell dollars.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"MQ",When Can We Expect You?

Don't wear gold chains or jewelry when walking on the street,or taking public transportation.Don't carry a "Hand Bag" with money or important documents.Don't get in the "middle" of the back seat in a "Publico"!Lots of "Pick Pockets" on public trans.,and at "crowded" events(Concerts,Carnaval,etc)If I were a woman,I would not take a taxi alone at night.
Most important,Travel with "Jan" I think she could "Kick Ass!"Cris Colon:bandit:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
MQ I think Santo Domingo is probably safer than Miami, although you have to take the same precautions you would anywhere else. Anecdotally there is less petty crime. As always it is a combination of bad luck and/or carelessness when something does happen. Good luck with your move, and hope to meet you when you are here. You might end up being neighbours with a friend of mine (who also used to live in Miami) in that building on the Malecon!

Chiri

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
EDA...

July 15th!!!

Hopefully everthing will work out as planned...even sooner if things run smoothly!!!

I am working on getting 'good conduct' papers from my local police here, plus new passport, getting plenty of copies of everything and everything translated just in case!

Any more advice from you 'old timers'?...(and I mean that in the sense that you've been there a long time...)

Yes, Criss...Jan could really kick someone's a...if need be!!!

I think I have to take a couple of lessons from her...but when I was there and we took the tour of the Zona Colonial it was late at night, and we had no trouble at all!!!

I guess my kids are just looking out for me...uh?

Thanks!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
SD. Is very safe. Just like any big city there are areas you should avoid. Learn them.
I couldn't comment on the safety of Carro Publico's because I haven't ridden in one since the mid-80s. I have only ridden in a bus in the DR once........ONCE!!!!

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re: EDA...

Musicqueen said:
July 15th!!!
I am working on getting 'good conduct' papers from my local police here, plus new passport, getting plenty of copies of everything and everything translated just in case!
I'm just wondering if the translation should be notarized and verified by the Dominican Consul.
Anybody know for sure?
mk