PHONE NUMBERS of CAMBIARIOS

philly

Feb 14, 2003
Hi,

Does any one know of any phone numbers for cambiarios with good rates that I can call in order to find the best rate? I am currently in the states but would like to call a few to get an idea of where to send my associate...the santiago area would be preferred...

Thanks in advance...

:classic:

philly

Feb 14, 2003
Does anyone have a favorite Exchange House? I'll post the results if you give me the phone numbers to call!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Try Vimenca, they have exchange banks in most cities. The number I got from the internet was 532-4561. Probably Santo Doming office, but if you connect there they can give you current rate and also number of office in Santiago.

philly

Feb 14, 2003
ken - thanks for the number I called they gave me a number for the office in Santiago (581-9002) and the receptionist said they can't give the taza over the phone! that is the first time I have heard that...anyway I'll try some other numbers I'll post it if I get any info... for those that are interested...the DR is definately a place you have to be in person if you want to get anything done!!!

Regards
MH

philly

Feb 14, 2003
UPDATE

Both are in the Santo Domingo:

Agente de Cambio Bienes Valores Boya
595 2762
32RD=1US

Agente de Cambio Girosol
616 2301
32RD=1US

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Coffeesport.com in Santiago will give quotes over the phone: 247-4620. Their exchange rate today is 32.

Banco Santa Cruz in Santiago also will give quotes over the phone: 724-2222. Hillbilly turned me on to them, their rate today is 33.

Western Union in Santiago will not give you quotes over the phone unless you know someone there. Their # is 5819002. Their rate today is 30 (I'm surprised by this, they're usually very competitive).

Adrian

Barnabe

Dec 20, 2002
I called Vimenca Lincoln in SD today. They are not selling USD, just buying, at 30.

RD$ is supposed to be down at 38/USD.

Huge profit for money changers or an attempt to control the collapse?

I will need to sell a few thousand US next week. Any good(!) idea is welcome..

Thanks..

Barnab?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I got 34 to 1 last Friday.They are at 33 to 1 today.

They are selling at 37 to 1.That "spread" would indicate that there is still pressure on the peso to decline in value against the dollar.Under more "normal" conditions,the "spread" is about 1 peso.Cris Colon:bandit:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Criss,

That sounds right on the spread to me.. There must be some real pressure here.

I've never understood how these guys can all band together and hold the rate.. Surely now that the change industry is more open, people would be out there changing at a better rate?

There must be someone out there who will take advantage of this?

I always get confused by the rates quoted in the DR1 newsletter and in the newspapers here, because I can never find those rates.. The best I can get is always a peso or two below what is quoted. In this case, a rate of 38 is being quoted, and I'm only able to get 33.

I've even tried dealing with the money changers on the street, but those guys aren't as competitive as some of the exchange houses (and 10x more hassle).

Adrian