Bavaro Beach Resort area... what to do??

A

albone

My wife and I are going to the Bavaro Beach Resort in 2 weeks. We are looking forward to a relaxing vacation, but would still like to do some outings. Any recommendations? What are the "must sees" and "must do's" at the resort? Any good shopping near by?

D

Deb

I have just returned from Bavaro Beach Resort. It is a huge, beautiful resort, lots to see and do.There are no towns or villages near by for shopping,but there are a few shops on the resort and a flea market on the beach at the end of the resort.We never left the resort this time other than to go out in a glass bottom boat to view the reef and walk the beach. You have made an excellent choice for your vacation. We were there last year and could'nt wait to go back again this spring.

J

Jeffery

I strongly suggest that you venture off of the resort grounds while in the DR, or any vacation spot for that matter. Take a taxi to Plaza Bavaro, 12 minutes away. Its a small shopping plaza set up for tourists. Lots of interesting buys & the usual t-shirt stuff. You can have a Presidente beer...or something... at the bar that sits in the center of the plaza. There's lots of local vending booth here also. And at night 'Coco's" disco is the only place outside of the hotels to party at. I enjoyed it very much!

The DR & her people are are wonderful, get out of the resort and experience it without the dictates of the resort. Have a great vacation!

F

F. Parker Jr.

I agree with "Deb". My wife and I have been there three times and love Bavaro Beach Resort. We swam with the Dolphins at Manatee Park, this excursion is offered right through the resort, but found plenty to do within the property itself. It's a beautiful place that you'll want to visit again and again. Be sure to eat dinner at the La Brisa Restaraunt......it's right on the beach between the beach resort and palace. The food and service were excellent, only topped by the view! Enjoy!

Fred

J

Jeff

Re: Bavaro Beach Resort area...

we are staying at the Palace, does anyone have any idea about the activities that they offer. Are they indeed free?

C

C HAM

JUST GOT BACK TWO DAYS AGO FROM THE PALACE HOTEL ON THE BAVARO BEACH. I WOULD RECOMMEND TAKING THE CATAMARAN/SPEED BOAT JOURNEY TO SAONA ISLAND. YOU TAKE A BUS ABOUT AN HOUR OR SO THE SOUTH FACING SIDE OF D.R. AND THEN BOARD A CATAMARAN (LOADED WITH BEER, RUM AND COKES) FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS TO THIS SMALL BEACH ISLAND IN THE CARRIBBEAN WATERS. THEY FEED YOU LUNCH, TEACH YOU THE MERENGUE DANCE, ETC FOR A COUPLE HOURS. YOU THEN BOARD SPEED BOATS AND BUZZ TO A SAND BAR IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WATER THAT IS CRYSTAL BLUE AND ABOUT 4 FT DEEP. WHEN YOU GET BACT TO D.R., YOU BOARD THE BUS AND STOP IN HIGUEY TO SHOP BRIEFLY AND THEN HEAD BACK TO THE HOTEL. THIS WILL TAKE THE WHOLE DAY, BUT ESPECIALLY IF YOU LIKE TO TIP BACK A FEW DRINKS, YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME..

J

Joanne

Re: Bavaro Beach Resort area...

Jeff

Check out this website for more info on the individual resorts. Debbie's Dominican Travel Page has reviews of various resorts written by regular folks like us. I didn't find this site until we returned from our trip, but it looks interesting. Enjoy your holiday, Joanne