trouble in paradise???

Stephanie

Jun 9, 2003
For all of you (Americans) that are/have been in relationships with Dominicans how did your families react? Mine is very bullheaded in that I am Italian American and so should everyone I date. they call it old fashioned, I call it stupid. I feel so torn between what I want and my family. They seem impossible. How do I broach the subject with them on how it is going to be whether they like it or not? I want to keep my Dominican man and my family. Why can t we just all be happy? AAGGHHH!!!

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Honey it's your life not theirs. My parents were not too please at first but once they saw us making our life together they love him just as much as me. But it wasn't easy and at one point I explained to them and this was going to happen with or without their approval. They realized that it was much better to be on my side. But parents are parents and they feel obligated to make sure their little girl isn't going to get hurt.

Have your folk been to the DR? Mine visited and met the family and everything, although at the time we weren't planning on getting married so they didn't think much of it. It's really important that your parents see where this man if from so at least they can relate to you and him on that level.

krazy_4_you

Jun 7, 2003
your man vs. your family.

I FEEL FOR YA, I am in the same situation, I have basically just kept it down low for now, until I am able to go there for a longer period of time with my man, my family doesnt approve of it, because well we all know Dominicans, and because of the distance, they basically learn to accept it, and it is YOUR life, and you want to be happy, so they have to respect that. I do not imagine that your family would make you have to choose between them and the one you love, but just choose wisely, and everything will work out for the best. It has been a year and half for me, i still dont think my family approves, but it is what makes me happy so they have to live with that!!

if you wanna chat, pm me, then i'll give you my email address... then we can chat!

adios

bagamunda70

Sep 25, 2002
Hey there, I am one who can also relate to the family. When I started dated my husband the only ones who knew where my mother and sister(she also met him ) my mother didn't like the idea b/c it was long distance etc. etc.etc....... I kept it from my father for 5 years prior to us getting married however I think he may of had a feeling since I was going down every 5 or 6 months of the year for 2 weeks.
When I did tell him he was not pleased at all but told me it was my bed I was lying in so do as I like. I always had a feeling and wished that one day he would be able to accept him. Even to this day I wonder reason being that 6 months after my husband arrived ( he arrived end of dec 01) my father became very ill and shortly died. I know he is looking down at us and someday he will let me know if he approves.....

Family is very important however you yourself are very important and you have to be the one who is happy... think of what you want and never regret anything that goes wrong because everything has a reason for happening

ILLPrincessa

Jun 18, 2003
You have to look at it this way. there is going to come a point where you are going to be out and about on your own and they can not tell you much about it. They can tell you what they think. I know how it feels cause a girlfriend of mine is going through the same thing. Just pray you can prove them wrong and watch how things change. Once they see the happiness they wont be saying much at all.
Stephanie said:
For all of you (Americans) that are/have been in relationships with Dominicans how did your families react? Mine is very bullheaded in that I am Italian American and so should everyone I date. they call it old fashioned, I call it stupid. I feel so torn between what I want and my family. They seem impossible. How do I broach the subject with them on how it is going to be whether they like it or not? I want to keep my Dominican man and my family. Why can t we just all be happy? AAGGHHH!!!