Samana

neil thomas

Jun 10, 2003
Are there many Americans in Samana?Sounds very Euro.Seems real estate is more $.Would the penninsula be less or more prone to hurricanes? Thanks,Neil

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
There are probably no more than 50 Americans living full time on the peninsula. Myself included, I know 6 in Las Galeras, a few in Samana and a few in Las Terrenas. Others live in the countryside in between. I'm sure there are others in these cities but I don't know them personally. Even though there are many Europeans here, being an American isn't a problem. They all want our money, Dominicans and Europeans alike.
Real estate prices here may be a little higher than other parts of the country but then the peninsula is the prettiest part of the DR and is becoming the next "in" destination for the DR both for tourism and for very nice homes with many above $150,000usd. When this is taken into consideration, the prices are in line with development and future values. In fact it is still possible to purchase many desirable properties at reasonable prices. For instance you can buy desirable ocean/beachfront property at $35usd per square meter and some places it's as low as $4usd for other oceanfront. Try to find oceanfront property in Sosua or Cabarete for less than $100 per square meter. It's practically nonexistant.

According to the locals, in the past 65 years only two hurricanes affected the Samana peninsula: Hortense in '96 which came up the Mona Passage and brushed the east coast of the DR and Georges in '98 which passed on the southside of the island and then turned and cut across the island as many do. In Las Galeras at the tip of the peninsula, we had about two hours of hurricane force winds from Georges. Actually, the north coast including the Samana peninsula, is relatively hurricane proof.

If you want more information PM me with your email address and I will reply.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
When I was in Las Terrenas I thought it was mostly European Expats. French and Italians to be exact.

Andy, there are many many 400 thousand + US dollar homes and MANY 1million US dollar homes in Sosua. There are places that are so exclusive that they won't even let this fat, ugly Loud american into in Sosua. $150k US is NOT a very expensive home here in comparison.

I enjoyed reading your post. Very informative!

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Jazz,
There are some $400,000 plus houses on the peninsula, too with one being about 100 yds away from me and it has a $250,000 house next to it. And in the Colorado Bay project over near Playa Rincon none of the homes there are under $300,000. I also have a friend who's developing two large properties with plans for a very upscale hotel (rooms at $1,000 per night and up) and million dollar homes. There are several other big players involved in the Samana area but nothing has gelled to the point that they want to talk about their projects except maybe Shakira and Juan Luis Guerra.

My point was not that homes here are more or less expensive than Sosua even though there are now more and more homes here above $150,000 as the peninsula grows in popularity. And in fact I said that oceanfront land here was cheap compared to Sosua or Cabarete. Despite what some detractors say, Samana is still very much affordable for the average buyer. You need to come out here, spend the day with me and take a look around.

You're absolutely right about Las Terrenas! When I have to spend the day over there on business I can feel the displeasure oozing from many of those European expats knowing I'm an American, who's also getting fat and ugly. However I must admit that some of the Europeans I deal with are very nice people and our business relationship has extended into true friendship. Usually, I can't wait to get out of there at the end of the day and return to the solitude of Las Galeras.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I may take a ride to hang out with you for a day next month Andy depending on how my plans are coming along. I haven't been to your town. When I was out that way the weather was terrible and raining the whole time. I was going to stay over but it was so miserable my friend and I decided to return instead.

I don't talk to people I don't know and they couldnt have known if I was American or German. They still looked unhappy:)

Scott

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Scott, you will love Las Galeras, even though it's full of French people. LOL

Make sure you go to Playa Rincon.

Chiri

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Out of curiousity Gentlemen?

I looked at the www.drparadise.com website and their are always a couple of lots in Las Tarrenas at rockbottom prices. Actually the lowest I have ever seen on tourist website. Is it because the areas are underdeveloped ? or are they undesireable in comparison to the North side?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Las Terrenas is not undersirable. You would have to see the lots to know why they are priced low. No way to know from an internet ad.

msa319

Mar 11, 2002
I am planning to vacation in Samana next year and would like to know which has the nicer beaches Las Terrenas or Las Galeras. I like to snorkel, so a calmer beach with clear water. I really don't know much about the area, what is the ratio of expats to Dominicans?

Matt

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Las Galeras better meets your specifications. An offshore reef keeps the water calm. Las Terrerans has a much longer beach, about 30km, but it is on the ocean and not as pretty as the Las Galeras beach.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
There are some 12 beaches on the twin bays of Las Galeras and Playa Rincon. Most have patches of reef off them. Two of them are worth mentioning: Playa Fronton at the tip of Cape Samana has abundant reefs but there can be some current there. Playita, a little beach around the corner from Las Galeras has one of the prettiest, well-protected reefs and it is smack up against the beach making it ideal for novices. It is also one of the all-around, nicest snorkeling reefs I've found in the area. Even when the ocean may be a little rough and churned up from the northerly winds in the winter, you can usually still snorkel at Playita.

And when the winds blow like this, the beaches of del Vallee, el Portillo, Las Terrenas, Playa Bonita and Playa Coson are all muddy and rough. One is especially dangerous in these conditions and that one is del Vallee on the north coast across from the city of Samana. More than several people have drowned there from the undertow caused by the wind-driven breakers on the beach.