Beef and booze

neil thomas

Jun 10, 2003
In my experiences in the central Americas,the beef has left alot to be desired.Mostly range fed Brahma.Is there any good old American quality beef in the DR? Imports from Argentina? Also,availability of some good aged canadian whisky? ie crown royal .

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
funny you should mention that

A few of us were discussing food in the chat room last night and I commented that I can never seem to get a decent steak in th DR. It always seems very tough. I ate in a "steak house" in sosua last week and you would expect to get a decent steak in a place that specializes in steaks but as usual it was tough and I was disappointed.
Larry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A friend who is no longer here, so I can't get the name from him, once told me that he purchased beef in Santiago when there because it carried imported beef.

In Sosua, there used to be a restaurant that specialized in serving imported beef, but prices were high and it is now closed. Instead, the owner of that restaurant is now in partnership with her husband in the Morua Mai restaurant.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Scott

The place you are referring to that was on the corner moved. They are down the road close to High Carribe now. Thats where I ate last week.You are right about Marcos steaks though. They are not bad.
Larry

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
Just get used to meat being tougher. Generally it is tastier and way better for you. Meat should not be soft as in North America. That is only from hormones (female btw) antibiotics and other nasty additives.

Say yum, but the meat you are eating is way better quality. Plus no mad cow or other several nasty diseases that can spread to humans.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
monaco09

I dont like tough meat. There is nothing like a big soft juicy prime rib...hormones or no hormones. Other than that I think the food in DR is great! Especially the seafood..which I love. :) Delicious washed down with a couple of really cold presidentes.

Larry

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Speaking of Seafood, Larry, I will take you to a place in Maimon to eat seafood. fresh from the sea without harmones or anti-biotics. Cheap and delicious.
But I got to hand it to you, nothing like an AMERICAN juicy porter cut loaded growth harmones.....yum yummmm.

neil thomas

Jun 10, 2003
Monaco,Apparently you are a victim of some sort of new age miss information.Ive raised my own beef for years,never used anything not even antibiotics.The thing that makes beef tender is two fold,One is grain, preferable corn. usualy about 1500lbs over 90 days The other is the amount of time the beef is aged in cold storage before it is eaten.We like to age our beef for 2 weeks.Carribean beef is not grained and is packaged as soon as it is slaughtered.Or if your really a coniseur try some Kobie beef from Japan,about $60 us a pound,These lucky bovine are fed beer,live in a sterile inviornment,are fed no bios,and are messaged daily.And by the way Monaco,see those pointy teeth on either side of your smile,those would be canine teeth used for,you guesed it,tearing flesh.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
A PRETTY GOOD STEAK

There's a little restaurant in Cabarete called La Camarone. It's owned by a French guy who is also the chef. My wife and I have eaten there several times, I usually get the pepper steak. Tender and tasty. It's across the street from Villa Taina. There's usually a young skinny Hatain guy out on the street that will show you the way back to the rest. Service and atmosphere are excellent. Very reasonable prices and the waitress is a real cutie.

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
Although this is clearly not the place to really hash this arguement out, I've cattle farmed for many years. Your claims although partially true certainly do not account for the difference.

Essentially Central/South America have enough land to let meat happen in a more natural manner. North America forces too much meat on to too little land which results in a need for less movement and more drugs. That is what accounts for the softness.

I promise to not lengthen this thread anymore.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
As Neil said island beef doesn't have to be tough if it's properly aged,... and you buy a young cow. Nicole has been aging our restaurant beef for many years and our local butchers know better than to bring us some old cow who is going to be tough no matter what you do to it. We age our beef up to 2 weeks and goat about a week. We also cut our own steaks, so an inch and a half thick rib or T-bone steak on the grill is normal for us.

The biggest problem with much of the beef (and other meats) here is it isn't aged and is usually eaten the day it's killed due to a lack of good, reliable refrigeration. I'll also put our local beef up against many other countries that produce beef. It's not only tastier and contains no questionable additives/hormones, but it's very lean and is healthier for you. Our beef is so lean that we have to add pork fat to make hamburger which has an ideal fat content of 21% (I had a friend who worked for Swift meats tell me that).

I've eaten steaks in the Kansas City stockyards, at Bobby Rubino's in Fort Lauderdale, in New York City, New Orleans and in Chicago steak houses just to name a few places. I've had some good steaks but I can say the worst steak I ever had was in a well-known, popular restaurant in Santo Domingo that specialized in prime Argentinian beef. Although I forced it down, Nicole couldn't eat hers.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Prepare your own steaks!

We buy meat from the German Fleischerei - if you enter Sosusa from Cabarate, its on the left hand side of the road.

Some time ago, a poster on the board (I think it was Ken) suggested that we call the butcher and ask him to age meat for us, a week or so before buying it. So now, we get lean meat, very nice, well aged and if we don't mess it up in the cooking process, some of the best meat I've eaten. The butcher now knows what we like and he makes it so! I grew up in Africa where my family were farmers and in the meat business - ate excellent beef all my life. The US steaks although very tender, always left me a little disappointed. Somehow it was not too flavorful. I guess those hormones do get in there and do something.

I've never had a good steak in a restaurant here and generally avoid it.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Cris... Save one of those big beautiful steaks for me! I will eat it in about 3 weeks. Closing on my dads Condo today.

Larry... Maybe it is the female hormones in your steaks that have brought out your feminine side?

AZB... You are such a good Muslim, do you at least seek out Kosher Beef? LOL

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
In Santo Domingo, The Outback has decent steaks. Prime Rib about as good as an Outback in the States. Tony Romas beef ribs are good but expensive.

Davey Crocketts has good steaks.

Everything is relative. Nothing on Smith and Wollensky or Peter Luger level.

I have eaten in the Argentinan place and it is OK, not great. My ex wife had a good steak at Vesuvios as well.

This new website with the imported meat, where are they located?

It looks pretty good. I'll have to give them a try!