Employment Needed (If all else fails!)

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I seem to be getting no further with my BanInter problems and feel that I must start looking for alternative employment as the money I earn teaching English to young Dominicans won't begin to keep the wolf from the door, unfortunately. I have secretarial, administrative, teaching, counselling, and managerial skills and experience, but please don't tell me I'm overqualified. I'm good with people on all levels, adaptable, reliable, a good team player but also able to hold the fort, and willing to do almost (!) anything to be able to stay in this country.

I will be available from the beginning of July and live in Cabarete. I would prefer to stay on the north coast so am looking for work preferably in Cabarete or Sosua, but Puerto Plata is also a possibility. Whilst I'm not totally fluent in Spanish, I more than get by. I have my residency here.

If you have anything available or could throw out any ideas, I'd be eternally grateful. Also, if anyone knows how these opportunities to work from home on the internet work out, I'd be interested.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You might check"Scambusters.com"

There monthly service is free.They expose "Internet Scams"! From what I have see,and read,and heard,those "Work-At-Home" things are trying to sell you information,or software,to allow you to make money working from home,are "RIP-OFFS"! Don't get involved in anything where yo have to send money,or "BUY" something to "Make" the money.They are making money at home,you won't!You must be extra careful when vulnerable! Cris Colon:bandit:

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
Hi my name is christian

I am looking to come to the country as well, I am looking to figure out what I possibly would be able to do as well. Have you thought of starting a business?

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Starting a Business

Hi, Christian,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I did allow myself to be persuaded to start two businesses with my (now ex) Dominican partner. I made a lot of mistakes and lost a lot of money. What I have left is caught up in this BanInter/Banco Central situation so I've nothing to consider starting a business with, even if I wanted to.

I had always believed that the best way to live in this country if you had a moderate amount of money was to invest it and live on the interest, which I thought was far less risky than a business. I hope I haven't been proven wrong.

I got it all wrong but even people with lots of business ability and experience have lost all their money here, so I would certainly advise you to really think carefully before you go into anything, really check out who you can trust (gringos and Dominicans), and then think again.

I have a friend who is very helpful, trustworthy and knowledgeable if you are moving to the country so get in touch again if you would like his details. He's a regular contributor to these forums and has lived here long enough to know most of the pitfalls. He didn't advise me badly, I ignored his advice, so have to face the consequences........

After all that, if you do start a business, please consider giving me a job!

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003

MARCOM in Puerto Plata is always hiring. Their number is 970-7200 and they are on the main road...go right through POP and as you head to Costambar, they are on the left side. They are seeking telephone sales reps who are fluent in English but I'm not sure how much Spanish they require. It's worth a shot. I heard that their pay is decent.

Also, check out www.emiresorts.com. It's the website for Sun Village in Cofresi. I believe they are also hiring and you can contact Daisy. They need more people who speak English.

Good luck!
Maryanne

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
Thanks

if you don't mind me asking what types of business where you invovled in?

Also who is the person you are speaking for?

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
I have an idea

Actuall based on an article and some thinking I have been doing in combination that your already there I do have an idea if your willing to hear me out. I have actually thought of this before but not as of late.

my email is christian15213@msn.com if you wanna learn more. I do say however it is not very immediate within the year however.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Re: I have an idea

naitsirch79 said:
Actuall based on an article and some thinking I have been doing in combination that your already there I do have an idea if your willing to hear me out. I have actually thought of this before but not as of late.

my email is christian15213@msn.com if you wanna learn more. I do say however it is not very immediate within the year however.

after reading some of your other posts, i really would love to hear this idea (sorry. i really 'wanna' hear this idea)....................hilarious!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Re: Re: I have an idea

bochinche said:
after reading some of your other posts, i really would love to hear this idea (sorry. i really 'wanna' hear this idea)....................hilarious!
\

Importing bananas, and Presidente beer from Miami I suspect.

Maybe importing half-decent condoms, NOW there's a market. Then Parte can go back to bicycle inner tubes as was their Genesis I fear.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hurry! It'll be raining here soon!

Yes, please. Me too!

Please let's hear the business idea. It's a quiet Saturday night at Xanadu with the wife and kids out-of-town and I could use a few giggles before the thunder outside turns to a downpour and kills the DSS and my internet, both.

We promise to give it a fair hearing, really. This is a great chance to redeem yourself and show that you really do understand the "latin" community as you put it. Talk! Talk!

::smile::