A Decent&Responsible Moving Company in DR??

Bossa

Apr 8, 2003
Hello,

I am supposed to leave this country for Washington D.C. soon
and am looking for a good moving company.

I looked up the yellow page and asked one company
to give me the estimation of the cost.
The guy form this company came to my house 3 weeks ago and
promised to give me the information including the estimation in 4 days.
But even after 3 weeks, he hasn't sent me Fax nor the telephone call!!!
The company is called Aquino which is supposed to be one of the
biggest moving company in DR.

Does anyone know a decent and responsible moving company??

I have been living here for a while and more or less I know
how things work here.
I trust the reputation more than the ADs in the Yellow page!!

Thank you very much.

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Moving?

Try this company in SD. They did all our incoming from Allied Pickfords both from Europe and the Middle East:

Teodulo Aquino
Phone: 536 4041
Fax 536 6717
Vijas Agricolas
Santo Domingo

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'm pretty sure

That Aquino is the one used by the US Embassy, if that is any recommendation.

There is one called Flor de Mayo, a takeoff on Mayflower Movers in the States.

BTW, that's "Villas Agr?colas"

HB

Bossa

Apr 8, 2003
Thank you Peter & Alex.
But Aquino is the one that I tried and didn't work out so well...

Thanks Hillbilly for your information.
I will try Flor de Mayo.

Bossa

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Bossa,
When we moved from SD to the Washington area, we first contacted Aquino because someone at the embassy recommended it. They were slow at getting us the estimate and their estimate was very high for our relatively modest shipment.

We then turned to Rosa del Monte, a firm with offices in SD, Miami & NYC, at the recommendation of a family member that had used them before. Their estimate was prompt and much more economical, and the agent represented his firm quite well, so we felt comfortable going with them.

An advantage to RdM was that they routinely send a moving van up & down the East Coast between Miami & NYC, delivering shipments near the I-95 network -- which is perfect for DC area. Some of the other movers operating the DR hand off your goods to another, US-based firm that they have a correspondence relationship with.

I haven't recommended them to you before now because I wasn't entirely pleased with them.

They did show up exactly on the day & hour they said that they would. We made sure we watched like hawks as they wrapped everything, because it turns out that their principal cushioning material is just cut-up large cardboard boxes/cartons -- even for heavy furniture like our sofa, the china cabinet and the piano. They claimed that this is common practice. I've moved many times in the US and never seen furniture and fragile items wrapped this way, but... it was just too late to change movers, we had to simply insist that they double wrap things and inspect everything.

The items arrived in the US when they said that they would, but they certainly arrived at our residence in DC area 2-3 weeks later than estimated. Evidently they have only 1-2 moving vans, and wait until they have it fully before sending things on the road. It really didn't matter how many times I called, the things arrived at their own pace.

Some of our furniture was cracked & chipped. I'll say this for them -- they did not fight about taking them and fixing them. But to do so your pieces must await the next truck to NYC, where they do the repairs themselves. Then the furniture awaits the next truck headed south. In all, the process takes weeks (around 2 months). The repairs frankly were so-so -- structurally sound, but not so professional that you can't tell where they were done.

I guess in sum I would say that if you don't have any major fragile goods, and you keep a close eye on them, RdM is okay, and certainly cheaper than Aquino. But I can't give them a ringing endorsement.

Hope his helps in some way.

Regards,
Keith