black people from the united states.

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
i am white.
i am not a racist.
i shall not be offended if this thread is deleted.
i have nothing against the people who started the "fashionable" threads on 'african americans'.
i don't want to hijack those threads and ultimately be accused of spoiling them.

however i would like to comment on something that was hinted at by user NDL in another thread.

i understand that, although, many (dominican) people would deny it, most dominicans, most people from the caribbean, a lot from latin america as a whole (i'm not even going to mention canada) are both american and have their roots from africa.
why, then, when this was pointed out, were we told that by 'african american' we were supposed to immediately assume that this only applied to black people from the united states.
my wife, whether she likes it or not is 100% 'african american' and 100% dominican (i could say the joke about how she likes to have a lot of european in her - but it's probably not appropriate) and i would like to add that i am very proud of her.
however with that one assumption, i feel that my wife, my friends, dominicans, etc. have suddenly become less important, which i am sure the people who coined the phrase 'african american' really wanted to avoid in the first place.
well, i am going to say it, 'african american' is not an exclusive club and does not exclusively apply to blacks from the u.s.
is there anything wrong with saying 'blacks from the u.s.'?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
To an "American" I'm a "Canadian",

however to a "European" I'm an "American" (because I come from North America, while my husband is an "Italian-Canadian" because he was born in Italy and now has his Canadian citizenship. Therefore an "African-American" would be an African now having citizenship in a North or South American country!!
Interesting to note that many Europeans refer to the United States of America as USA (pronounced usa) which baffled me completely until I realized they were referring to our neighbours to the south!