What kind of car makes sense?

E

eye4photography

I've gone through as much searching through old threads as possible. The answers aren't too clear so here's my post.

I need to have a feel for the best car make in terms of insuring and repairs in DR.

I originally considered dealing with bringing my Chevy Astro down because it's a good reliable vehicle and by US standards easy to get parts for and good mechanics that are familiar with it's engine and transmission.

So far the posts indicate that US cars in DR are more expensive and difficult to get repaired.

That said, what makes/models are easily to care for in DR and should I consider buying here and exporting it or buying there when I arrive?

In terms of type of vehicle I would need something that can haul people and things but is fairly economical on gas (i.e. Chevy Astro, Toyota RAV4, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

-eye-

E

eye4photography

You know that's my favorite maker anyway so that's GREAT news!

I guess another RAV 4 is in my DR future ;-)

Buy here or there (used)?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I like toyota but diesel!!

`Try a Prado SUV, or a full cab Toyota Pickup...

The Prado is more luxurious.

Next would be a Mitsubishi L-200 full cab pickup...

HB

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
My understanding is that the terms of the mortgages makes them unreasonable. Am I wrong? What kind of interest rate is available for a car loan? - D

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Danny Wake-up

Forget financing anything in this country. Bring down USD$$$$$. CASH. If you can't pay cash for a vehicle or anything else then don't buy.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Get an SUV type vehicle

From my limited driving experience in the DR I have found that getting anything that is too low to the ground is a mistake. So many deep holes cause you to keep bottoming out and will destroy a car. Therefore I recommend getting an SUV type vehicle that can handle the roads better.
Larry

E

eye4photography

I've read posts in the past that say it's best to purchase in DR than to bring one over from (in my case) the US.

Frankly, I've got connections to get good used vehicles (1 to 3 years) old that I'd prefer to buy in cash and ship over to DR.

But will that be more of a headache than it's worth?

Also, on the ground clearance comment, I agree from my experience there so far. Also, consider that I (for my photography) will be off the beaten path sometimes. My Chevy Astro all-wheel-drive would have been ideal but it sounds like American cars are bad Karma when it's time for repairs.

-eye-

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
eye4photography said:
I've read posts in the past that say it's best to purchase in DR than to bring one over from (in my case) the US.

Frankly, I've got connections to get good used vehicles (1 to 3 years) old that I'd prefer to buy in cash and ship over to DR.

But will that be more of a headache than it's worth?
Eye,
You've read posts warning you, but you still feel the need to ask the question????? Sigh.

The short answer is: yes, it is more of a heachache than it's worth. Take it from someone who imported and regreted.

Do your homework! DR1 has a good FAQ on this subject:
http://dr1.com/living/settling/9.shtml

And there are numerous threads in the archives covering this headache, just a few of which are:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19240
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20524
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15826

Pay heed. These guys are not just blowing smoke. Again, take from someone who went through the process -- and we even had the "advantage" of the tax break given to "returning" Dominicans (my wife, in this case). The high taxes, the customs hassle, the worries about abuse of your vehicle while in the holding lot, the problem in getting parts & proper repairs for American cars, all that is true, and then some.
Regards,
Keith