two interesting links

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
thought some of you might like to see these two links.

the first one appeared in the u.k.'s guardian newspaper yesterday . it's nothing new, and would probably have been more apt if it was written a few years ago. perhaps it was, because rd$500 is quoted as being the equivalent of 20 quid. now it is the equivalent of more like 10 quid and falling.
it was written by david brotherton. i don't know who he is, maybe it is one of you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,977391,00.html

the second link was written almost two years ago, originally for the financial times, and is a much more topical indicator of (foreseen) current woes.

http://www.jubilee2000uk.org/worldnews/lamerica/Dominican_republic_plans_bond.htm

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
who ever wins the new DR administration in 2004 has a huge task ahead with this criminal schooled in the US this people were average citizens before they were placed in the American Society i once was part of the New York, Bronx manhattan area and i thank my mom every single day that she took me away from there now i sit back in my bedroom thinking how in hell i made it through high school when i was loosing a schoolmate every day due to the rising violence.

Apr 26, 2002
Interesting how the far-away Financial Times picked up on Hippo's borrowing orgy two years ago, while newspapers that seemingly should have cared more (Miami Herald, New York Times) didn't report anything until the sky had already fallen. And where were the quotes from the World Bank in the Dominican papers?

I can just imagine Hippo's bruto quote:

Esa gente no sabe nah.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Mondongo had been one of the first here. At first I thought that building infrastructure while waiting for a pick up in tourism would be good for the country albeit I didn't realize the thievery going on when I made that statement.