Damajagua waterfalls

paul_holmes

May 13, 2002
Hello there

I am hoping to take a trip to the Damajagua waterfalls as a part of my honeymoon. Could anyone tell me what to expect from the falls. Are they hard to climb etc?

Thanks for your help

Paul

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
These falls are a real Disney World. The excursion to the falls is sold at hotels but the companies take people up the falls the opposite way. You climb up from the bottom (I believe going as far as the 7th fall) and then make your way down. To better appreciate the falls, we recommend you walk up the mountain and then make your way down through the falls.

Some time ago went with a group of 50 (including people who couldn't swim and a six year old girl). What you need is clothing that can get wet and dry quickly, good pair of shoes that can get wet but are rugged to walk over rocks, and wont weigh you down when you jump into a fall. Bring some snacks, but be sure they are lightweight and please dont leave any garbage.

Get a guide at the Damajagua exit of the Imbert highway. We went with Roberto and Joel, who know their stuff. There are signs on the road. You may consider renting a car as the taxi may cost you as much as renting a car for the day.

To do it right is to spend a whole day at the falls. Take the mountain road up - about two hours making stops to admire the jungle vegetation- and then make your way down the 21 falls. You will jump down the falls, or toboggan down the falls. Bring rapelling gear, just in case it has not been raining, because then the waters of some of the drops may be too shallow and you have to rapel down for safety. We did this, no problem.

It took our group a whole day -we started our climb shortly before 10 and were back at around 5 pm, but remember we were 50, so that meant we spent about two hours at the rapelling point because it was one by one.

If you are somewhat adventurous, this will be the highlight of your trip to the DR and one to remember for ever.

Last edited:

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
sunds fantastic!! Where is it; how does one get there ( i have car);can you be more specific re: cost for guides. and what do you mean" they do it backwards"?.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I dont remember what we paid our guides -- think it was RD$500 each for the day, or something like that. They have a rate. You should ask.

Backwards...
The excursions start at the bottom of the waterfalls and take their group up through the waterfalls. That way you only get to climb about 7 of the falls.

We went up the hill on foot and then made our way down the waterfalls. This way you get to jump down 21 falls.