I want to Move To the D.R. Very Much but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
My name is Christian and I currently live in Miami, FL. I love latin culture and love latin people. People are always coming up to me and speaking spanish, when I say, No Hablo Espanol, they seem shocked. Aren't you from Cuba, are you Dominican? I laugh and tell them even though I have Latin and Italian Roots I don't speak spanish. I have been reading up on DR and I have to say that I am very interested in coming to live for some time. I don't really know how to do this and I am tired of all my American friends telling me things like, The U.S. is the only place to be, People die to come here and all of those super patriotic biases. I want to experience another culture, learn a language and become more "worldy while I am young.

My spanish is limited but I am learning daily. I have computer experience and I am a Stock broker/Financial Advisor with all of the my licenses. Would there be anything that I could do that would not totally require me knowing spanish. I wouldn't even mind being a baby sister for some rich people in exchange for spanish lessons. If anybody is feeling what I am saying and knows some things I should do please respond to this post, myself or anyother means so that I can expidite my travel plans.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let's get the first questions out of the way.

How many times have you been here, how well do you know the DR?

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
good Question but.

Good question. Never. I have been to Puerto Rico, Mexico and Spain. I never have been to the DR. So your next question would be, why the hell the DR? Another good question but let me answer that one too. I love the people I have met here in Miami. I love a good mix of culture as well, not too white, not too black if you know what I mean. If you don't that is ok, whatever race you are imagine for a moment that your surronded by 1000 of the oppisite race sitting in one room. Now that next room is 1000 of your own people. Whether your a racist or not. And I am not, you would just feel more comfortable and at "home" with your own people. I would like Brazil but that is a whole seperate language and I want to focus on only one right now.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let me give you some advice before some other people jump all over you.

Before you even utter the words "move" come and actually live here. If you can survive for more than six months, then talk about moving.

The reality is that many people drift in and out of the message board talking about living in the DR and I would guess that 90% have absolutely no idea what it takes to live here.

I suggest you read everything on this site, as it's by far the best resource you will come across relating to the DR. The pool of knowledge is outstanding and we have many people that "actually" live in the DR posting on the board.

Once you have read everything, come back and ask specific questions and your get specific answers.

Then you can move onto step 3...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Visit at least once

I cannot imagine moving anywhere I have never seen and where my language is at best "pidgin" class.

The job thing is of course hopeless without Spanish and darn good Spanish too unless you want sub-minimum wages and live in a shack.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have a friend doing very well managing his and several friend' stocks via the internet. There are things people can do providing they have the right training and experience no matter where they live thanks to the internet.

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
Thanks but,,, Please have more insight than that....

for the Quote of

I can't imagine livining anywhere that I don't know the language?

You trully must be like a 5th generation American Citizen because if you read a little bit up on your history, this country (United States) was founded by imagrents and settlers of other countries, and I am pretty sure that they all weren't spewing English when they landed their boats. Like I said I come from an Italian background and my pappy still can't speak that well, He has done well for himself and his family, so in short I think that response was a little self-absorbed. I am 25 years of age and like I said previously I don't think that the U.S. is the holly grail of the earth and no other society is worthy enough to live, visit or learn from. I am willing to work my way up and that is what I am trying to figure out here.

Is that possible in the DR, can you work your way up or are there english based firms that in some respect would be willing or need to have english speaking people, i.e. like the entertainment industry. I also have a savings and would be willing to invest in a business, how is small business in the DR. Give me solutions not discouragement.

Thanks and keep it real

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Listen to Robert (Who LIVES in the DR)

Until you go and visit , use your savings to do that, you haven't a clue if you want to live there at all. You could hate the weather, the social issues, the people, the culture, the prices, the food etc.

Don't expect English speaking (I assume you did not mean firms based in the UK) firms to have jobs and open arms. This is a Spanish speaking country including business dealings and you need good language skills. Those English speaking firms doubtlessly want to have bilingual employees to communicate internally and with clients.

Also perhaps you can bone up on your geography as you can see a board name of "ricktoronto" would mean I am not an any generation American citizen. There are other countries in the world as you so rightfully point out.

Also the point about settlers from generations ago may not acurately depict the 21st century ( it is 2003 now) - when you go to a Spanish speaking country this century and you are not on a galleon with cannons, you need to speak what they do (in advance) to conduct yourself socially and in business. If you do show up in a galleon with cannons the DR coast guard will probably sink you.

I assume the DR has at least a Coast Guard, they may even have a Navy. In any case cannons would be thought of as a hostile gesture and I am certain they are able to deal with such affronts.

I would surmise that more than a few Americans have thought well, the one language I need in the whole world is English as of course all people will learn it to deal with me. Not true.

P.S. If you want to quote someone use the "quote" button ..there , down there to the right... there it is, you go t it.

Last edited:

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
LOL, point taken...

I hear you but I think you heard me as well, It will be a changlenge I know but one I am willing to make. I have read a lot and money is important but it is not the whole world. OUt of this country (US) experience for a while would be something worth the struggle, two things, I will love it and stay, or I will hate it and love the U.S. more. I think I will be alright however and really really would like some help learning what I might be able to do with my english speaking self. HMMM....

I guess I will have to study harder on the espanol.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Listen to others , Visit the DR, then Think

In that order would help you a lot.

You don't really have to make it a love/hate thing you know. But book a flight , stay AWAY from an all inclusive resort, go to a few towns, and see if it's what you think it is.

The job thing, as far as living wage you are dreaming and don't seem to appreciate that.

Between now and your flight learn decent Spanish.

I am contemplating living there in retirement which is not for 9 years or so, and I go there 5 or 6 times a year (see: I have been there already , note) and still have not made up my mind yet - I probably will for the tax relief and the tranquility. However I will have a large pension and moolah up the hoop on top of that - to live on working wages no way.

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
Rick from Toronto Thanks.... but.....

Rick you most likely are a lot older than I am, because you said your retireing soon. I am 24 going on 25 and have my life ahead of me. Working wages is not a big deal to me. I have made 70 thousand U.S. before and the year before that I made 13,000 U.S. Money isn't everything and getting my hands dirty is not a big deal. I want to delve into the culture, I want learn the way the people live and live that way. I am not looking to come here because I heard it was the land of oppertunity. Now before I would actually move anywhere I would of course visit. I am not a maniac, my point of the post however is to see what the hell I can do as far as income. You don't have to be stankin rich to live somewhere, although it would be great it is not the only prerequisite.

Rick what do you do for a living?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
naitsirch79 - Right now you at the "wanna be" Astronaut stage without ever having stepped foot in a plane.

Your skills are of little use here and the country is full of educated, English speakers. Yes, we have "English" companies, take a look at the Free Zones. How does RD$4,500 (US$120) monthly sound? Think monthly rates like you think about hourly rates, it's tempting, isn't it?

Ok, let's assume you are an Astronaut, how does RD$15,000 (US$420) monthly sound? Your now in the maybe the top 10% of earners here. How tempting is that?

I have lived in Miami (Aventura) and the Dominicans you know will be in many cases as Dominican as me, I'll let you work that one out.

Yes I'm being sarcastic, trust me, it's for your own good!

If I was you, I would step back, read everything on this site, then come back and ask questions. Knowledge is power and right now your running at about 2 microwatts...

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Re: Rick from Toronto Thanks.... but.....

naitsirch79 said:

Rick what do you do for a living?

Earn more than $120 a month which as Robert mentions you need to practice at real soon.

Or go to astronaut school and starve a little more slowly.

Listen, go there, quit posting until you come back. You have enough dough? Go between the 28th and the 6th of July and call me in the DR.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Re: Rick from Toronto Thanks.... but.....

naitsirch79 said:
Rick you most likely are a lot older than I am, because you said your retireing soon. I am 24 going on 25 and have my life ahead of me. Working wages is not a big deal to me. I have made 70 thousand U.S. before and the year before that I made 13,000 U.S. Money isn't everything and getting my hands dirty is not a big deal. I want to delve into the culture, I want learn the way the people live and live that way.

I think you should go into the Peace Corps, the toughest job you'll ever love, and request to be assigned to the DR, there you will get your hands dirty, be taught Spanish, and learn more than you ever wanted to know about culture. You would fit right into their small business group of volunteers.....

SamoraMachel

Jun 1, 2003
Re: Re: Rick from Toronto Thanks.... but.....

kjdrga said:
I think you should go into the Peace Corps, the toughest job you'll ever love, and request to be assigned to the DR, there you will get your hands dirty, be taught Spanish, and learn more than you ever wanted to know about culture. You would fit right into their small business group of volunteers.....

I was actually in the Peace Corps a few years ago. I requested to be assigned in the Dominican Republic and ended up in Zimbabwe...Go figure. It definately is the "toughest job you will ever love."

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
Thank you, real answers

To the person who said join the peace corps, thank you.

I really like that idea and it seems to have a lot of what I am looking for. Do you have more information about that.

and to the person who said why the DR? You have not read all of my posts in this thread, if you did you would know that I love the cultural mix of people. Better even so than Cuba, which is not too free these days if you know what I mean.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
I did read all your replies

And I agree with JazzCom......how do you know what type of mix of people are in the DR if you have not been there? Reading about and being there are two different things.

But I do need to remember that at your age, no one could tell me anything either. I had to experience it for myself. So go for it!

naitsirch79

Hanging by a thread...
Jun 17, 2003
jazzCom

Go to hell and please don't post in my forum. LOOK AT THE CIA WEB SITE it says 70 percent mixed 11 percent african and 9 percent white.

Also, I have Dominican Friends that LIVE here in MIAMI. They are authentic real live Domincans. HUH imagine that.

Status
Not open for further replies.