HIV/AIDS rate in DR

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
A recent press release in DR put the rate at 1% for not Hatian field workers. The CIA fact sheet has a 1999 estimate of 2.9%. Places of the sex trade like Sosua don't look like they use to (fewer people). What stories have you heard lately? I don't trust published stats.

-Lee

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I was in sosua lately and discussed this very topic with a friend that lives there. He says that he dosent see any HIV problem in sosua or anywhere else in the DR. Same old girls and people year in and year out. Who knows? It seems to me that after 25 years of HIV, It has only become prevelant in certain parts of the world and in certain communities.I has not developed into the disaster it was forcasted to be 20 years ago.
Larry

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
ltsnyder said:
A recent press release in DR put the rate at 1% for not Hatian field workers. The CIA fact sheet has a 1999 estimate of 2.9%. Places of the sex trade like Sosua don't look like they use to (fewer people). What stories have you heard lately? I don't trust published stats.

-Lee

Well, Lee, I know you say that you don't trust published stats (but you trust stories from unknown, unseen people instead????), but maybe you'd still find this useful anyway:
http://www.unaids.org/hivaidsinfo/statistics/fact_sheets/pdfs/Dominicanrepublic_en.pdf
The UNAIDS report for 2002 for the DR says that that were estimated 130,000 HIV+ in the DR at the end of 2001, about 7,800 AIDS-related deaths in 2001 alone, and some 33,000 Dominican children left orphans by AIDS. The estimated HIV+ infection rate (including some not yet displaying symptons) for adults for 2002 was 2.5%.

Regards,
Keith

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Thanks,

Keith, those stats seem the most comprehensive that I have seen, thanks. What do I believe in . . . . well stories always help.

Larry, I'm not claiming to know the answer to the question I am asking but whoever you talked to in sosua must have their head in the sand. Just like all over the world, were dance clubs use to be common and now are scarce, things have changed and I'm trying to be gentel here .

-Lee

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Itsnyder,"LEE",you obviously have an agenda!

And it is not very well "Hidden"! There are lots of "Clubs" all over the world that have "closed"! And lots of stores,businesses,restaurants,movie theaters,churches,schools,airlines,and day care centers too! Looks like "AIDS" is putting lots of people out of work! Your "analogy" "SUCKS"!Maybe you have not noticed the world wide economic down turn? Well,maybe it is due to the HIV/AIDS pandemic killing so many people!But I kinda PHUCKING DOUBT IT!"AIDS" has become a business,and a "Growth Industry"! Governments,NGOs,business',and "workers" in the health care field now have a huge vested interest in fanning the flames of fear re."AIDS"! They are successful!Many more people in the USA die in car accidents every year than from AIDS.I think that people would stop "driving" before they would stop "screwing",to prevent death,I know I would!!!!!!!!! Time to go get "LAID"!Cris Colonccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Agenda . . . .

What ever, I wont bore you with stories. Were all adults here.
I guess I did have some kind of expectations yeah . . . .

-Lee

GypsyGRL

Apr 26, 2003
Regardless.....

Criss Colon said:
Many more people in the USA die in car accidents every year than from AIDS.

I don't want to get in a pissing contest with you, Chris, but....

Car accidents are just that, an accident. HIV/Aids is preventable, you don't get it by "accident" you get it from being irresponsible. The point is screw all you want, enjoy who ever you want, but use your "head" when you do.;)

Enjoy!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Re: Regardless.....

GypsyGRL said:
Criss Colon said:
Many more people in the USA die in car accidents every year than from AIDS.

I don't want to get in a pissing contest with you, Chris, but....

Car accidents are just that, an accident. HIV/Aids is preventable, you don't get it by "accident" you get it from being irresponsible. The point is screw all you want, enjoy who ever you want, but use your "head" when you do.;)

Enjoy!
I think you missed Criscos point...that HIV has not developed into what people forecasted it would in mainstream USA.The risk involved for a healthy heterosexual male is not that high. If it were as high as people make it out to be then we would be dropping like flies after 25 years of the virus floating around. There are lots and lots of guys out there nailing everything they can and a lot of them dont like to wear party hats.How many heterosexual males do you know that have died of Aids?
Larry

Last edited:

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Activity . . . .

I have no idea how active other people are, I do know that studies showed that about 1% of caucasians have a genetic mutation that makes them immune to infection. I'm not trying to draw any conclusions from that, but I'd hate to see a 1% example convince others it was safe to go totally crazy. My personal opinion is that the spread slowed due to change in behavior, it just didn't stop spreading with out some people taking precautions.

Is it ok to say . . . Be safe . . . . Have fun . . .

-Lee:bandit:

GypsyGRL

Apr 26, 2003
That's right,Lee!
Education, change of attitude, availability of condomns, etc!!

Larry, I did understand what Chris was trying to say! Guess what, welcome to Life! Life is capitalism, Capitalism is Life. Like it or lump it, regardless of what the get rich quick scheme may be - health care (of any sort), time shares, or how about the ol' pyramid scheme!!

My point is, AIDS cannot be compared to a car accident! Accidents are just that an accident and you can't live your life in fear of them! AIDS is preventable just by being smart and using your head. Everyone is capable of getting AIDS, regardless of you gender/ sex. pref.

That's my point.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
hy try to hide behind your true feelings!

You have a moral problem with "How" people get AIDS! We need a Forum called;"SOAP BOX" whe you can voice your opinions regardless of their legitimacy!You have a "problem" with my metaphore,no big deal,find another one! "AIDS" does not kill heterosexual males.Next you will tell us that GOD let lose the "Plauge" to punish those who "SIN"! Is that what you really want to say????Maybe you should "TRY" a little sex to clear your mind! Cris colon:cool:

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Stories . . . . .

Seems like my thread was self defeating, I wanted to hear stories,not to be the teller of stories. My spanish is poor,so as best as I can I'll recount three stories I heard from one family in DR.

1) A guy was involved with this woman in POP and freinds warned him that she was a "woman of the street", to which he replied "no she's ok she's not a woman of the street". His mother lived in florida and eventually he tested positive after previously testing negative. He had to call his mother in florida to tell her he had AIDS (I guess in the hopes she would help pay for the medicins) she did not pay, he withered away, he was described as being a very attractive man with beutiful indian cinnomon colored skin, and his hair went from straight to frizzy and faint before he died (well one way or the other, I remember she said how his hair changed).

2) A family that died as husband (or wife) passed it on to the other and children were born with it.

3) A son of a wealth DR family who when he found out he had HIV+ thought his father would pay for the meds, but his father refused.

This was just an average DR family recounting the stories of people the knew or heard through the grape vine.

Hearing these stories prompted me to ask if any one heard of similar stories.

-Lee

GypsyGRL

Apr 26, 2003
Re: hy try to hide behind your true feelings!

Criss Colon said:
You have a moral problem with "How" people get AIDS! We need a Forum called;"SOAP BOX" whe you can voice your opinions regardless of their legitimacy!You have a "problem" with my metaphore,no big deal,find another one! "AIDS" does not kill heterosexual males.Next you will tell us that GOD let lose the "Plauge" to punish those who "SIN"! Is that what you really want to say????Maybe you should "TRY" a little sex to clear your mind! Cris colon:cool:

Not a moral problem with "How", just with your metaphore. There are too many impressionable ppl who use this board for info and for them to say it's okay to go out and bang who ever I want I won't get AIDS. It's better to err on the safe side, no? Bang who ever you want, just put a "hat" on. That's all I'm saying!
As for the "soap box" I don't think there's room for me on it as ........
I'm not even going to acknowledge the "God" discussion, as I'm sure you are the expert on that one Chris!

As for trying a little sex, I guess I just haven't tried the sex you "seem" to experience Chris. I guess I'll just have to keep trying when I'm down there in Oct. :devious:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Stories . . . . .

ltsnyder said:
I'll recount three stories I heard from one family in DR.

-Lee

Those are just that...Stories you heard. Do you know all the facts?

I can give you another story about a guy I knew from a very well to do Dominican Family. He was married and had 2 kids. By all appearances he was a straight, moral, Religious, upstanding young man. He got Aids and died. EVerybody talked about how he got aids from some girl he had a fling with. Wrong. You see my friend had a thing for the "Boys in Drag"! I have still have yet to see one proven case of a healthy male getting AIds from heterosexual contact.

Tony C.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Ok

what ever I don't have any more detail about the stories I gave, I guess they could have all been gay or whatever, your story is good too.

-Lee

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Hummm

GypsyGRL post convinced me to write this, as she said

"There are too many impressionable ppl who use this board for info and for them to say it's okay to go out and bang who ever I want I won't get AIDS." -GypsyGRL

People who tell you you can't get AIDS are only that. Please use caution and don't beleive everything you read hear. If you travel somewhere, please talk to people before you start risky behavior, talk to freinds, and if you have no freinds there be careful and remember your a virtual idiot there until you really get to know the place. The people on this board who are telling me there is no problem seem to have an agenda, if you take risky behavior off what they say, then your a fool.

-Lee
:alien:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Do a search in archives. We have discussed this subject a zillion times. People will continue to do what they do so I say take care of yourself not just when you travel but at home too.

Birdie

Jul 31, 2002
No signs of Aids is No Sign!!

Larry: I've just read you threads here and I don't see a reply to this part:

"Same old girls and people year in and year out."

(Context: He says that he dosent see any HIV problem in sosua or anywhere else in the DR.***** Who knows? It seems to me that after 25 years of HIV, It has only become prevelant in certain parts of the world and in certain communities.I has not developed into the disaster it was forcasted to be 20 years ago.)

I thought that it is important to keep in mind that a person can be HIV positive for up to ten years and never have it turn into the immune dificiency response, AIDS, -meanwhile spreading the virus around to many people. Some of these "same old girls and people" may be HIV postitive right now (infected with the virus) even though they don't know it and don't appear to be sick, and even though your friend doesn't know it. So no signs of AIDS cannot be a security blanket. And the fact that the disease can take so long to manifest is one (one) of the reasons why there is such an epidemic world-wide, as by the time people become aware that the disease has come to their community, many people already have it, as it has already spread.

I hope people consider this when assessing their safety!

I'm glad you raised the question.

Birdie

Jul 31, 2002
guy

Me again... P.S. I do know a heterosexual guy with AIDS. He hasn't died, thanks to the new AIDS drugs, but was diagnosed at 19... He's in the U.S., and not the D.R. (I couldn't tell you where he vacationed/s...)

If you want to call ti a gay disease, here's why it may have --appeared--- that way~ We knew nothing about the disease (or atleast nothign was said) until signs of AIDS started showing up, aka people started gettign sick. It hit the gay population and spread fast because nobody knew about HIV VIRUS, and that you (as I mentioned previously) could spread a virus with no symptoms of being sick, -for yearsssss. By the time it started showing up more commonly in the heterosexual population, there was at least some media attention and public health alerts going on in the US, so that people understood it was a symptomless infection (before onset of the actual AIDS), in a sense, for many or the people carryignthe virus and so took preventative measures. Bythen though, it was too late for many people who were infected in the early years, and it was innappropriately labeled (WRONG-ly labeled) as a gay disease. That does not mean that you as a heterosexual male are safe from infection.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
The environment in DR has changed

What use to be a major "party" town is now much calmer, and it happened in two ways.

1) Most People who heard stories have changed their behaivior.
2) The ones that did not change their behaivior as male or female prostitutes either died, got sick and stayed home to be nursed by the family, or majorly changed the way they do buiseness (always used condoms, which is a small minority).

You go back to theses places now and say whoaaa! what happened? If you only arrived today and look you would never know, if you were there 4 years before you'd know.

-Lee