racism

mimi23

Jun 21, 2003
I was born/raised in canada and raised by a Haitian mother and a father from the Ivory Coast Africa. I wish to move to the DR. I was worned by many that I should not because of my Haitian back ground. I mean, how bad can it be?

I visited the DR in 2001 and did notice racism from dominican, but in most cases the dominicans did not even know I was not dominican until I told them.

I want CONSTRUCTIVE comments that will help me understand the culture that I intend to explore. Not pointless comments that will not bring me any good.

My questions are as follows:

1-Will the darkness of my skin pose a problem? If so, why?

2-Will my Ivoro/haitian backgroung pose a problem? If so, how?

Please, I want constructive comments. As my inquiry is solely based on information researched on the internet and my short stay in the DR. I don't have much to go on. I would like info from people living in the DR and seeing things for themselves.

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
mimi

I am sure you will get a lot of constructive comments. I have never lived in the DR so I would be speaking out of place if I commented on the topic.Let me ask you something though...if a few people answer your post by telling you that there is racism in the DR and you might be subjected to it if you move there would you let that stop/change your plans/dreams?. Dont get too hung up on racism issues and dont let the fact that you are black hold you back in life. If you do you will only be cheating yourself. Good luck in whatever you do.
Larry

rubio

Apr 28, 2003
www.geocities.com
Hi mimi,

I agree with what Larry has already posted.

I'd like to add that this subject of racism has been discussed in many threads on this message board. Simply conduct a search, type in "racism."

Rubio