Hey, I thought of my own survey

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
You know, I like those surveys like the "newbie" survey that I just subjected myself to, because you get to know stuff about the people who post here, who seem like the coolest people in the western hemisphere [shameless @sskiss]. So I was thinking yesterday about a question I'd like to add to the survery. And then I thought, well, I'll just make a thread of my own since I need 10 more posts to lose my 'bronze' status. And then I thought, you know mike, this is too much thinking for a weekend, go have four more beers and settle down.

So this can be answered both by those of us who, at this time, can only visit the DR now and then, and also by all you people who live there full time.

For the vistors, if you could pick one and only one song to be the soundtrack to your life, what would it be? And what does that song change to when the wheels touch down on the runway in the DR? Got it? You get to pick two songs.

For the residents, what one song would have been the perfect soundtrack to your pre-DR life. And what one song is the soundtrack to your life now that you've moved and made a home on the island?

I've never posted a survey anywhere before so please don't hammer me if it's dopey. If nobody posts, I'll get the message. BTW, things are looking good for an August/Sept return to Santo Domingo, Santiago and points north.

st louis mike
got the monday morning blahs

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
ok i'll go first...

but isn't there an unwritten DR1 rule that if you post the survey, you also have to answer it?

my soundtrack: chris isaak's Wicked Game

"the world was on fire and nobody could save me but you
it's strange what desire will make foolish people do..."

my RD soundtrack: r.e.m.'s Beat a Drum

"this is all i want it's all i need
this is all i am its everything".

mob:classic:

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Not a bad idea but ...

... geez that's a lot of thinking for a Monday! Let me get back to you on this one. Interesting quiz, though .... hmmmm ....

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Don't knock my music tastes, lol

Great survey, imho. Makes you think because how often music reflects our feelings, wants, and desires.
When I am in the US: Tightrope by Stevie Ray Vaughan because my life is so hectic/unmanageable in my own mind at least, and at times I just want to drink my troubles/cares away.
"Caught up in a whirlwind, can't catch my breath, knee deep in hot water, broke out in a cold sweat..."

In the DR: I am so relaxed and don't dwell on everyday problems and I appreciate life and people in general in a different way: I actually have compassion for people and don't just think of myself, funny how you notice a smiling face and enjoy the families frolicking at the beach and it makes you smile(momentary lapse back into humanity, lol)
Louis Satchmo(Daniel) Armstrong: What a Wonderful World
dale7(Howard)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2002
OK, I'm only going to pick one song because it doesn't change, no matter where I am. It is "I have a dream" by Abba (very 80's I know!)

"I have a dream, a fantasy, to help me cope with everything"

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Thanks Wud

Had typo but of course no one really knows "Satchmo's " real birthdate and/or middle name. It is assumed he was born Louis Daniel Armstrong, though Louis denied that. He said he was born July 4, 1900 but baptismal certificate found in N.O. church said he was born in August 1901. Don't want to get off topic too much but good website is www.satchmo.net Jazz and blues rock. Come on people this is a good survey:)
dale7(Howard)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Ok...here's mine...

I only have one song ...because it applies to my life now that I'm here and what it would be once I establish residency in DR...

The song is called "Esta Vez"...by Franco DeVita...

<i>Muchas veces present? que un d?a me pasar?a
el sentirme tan as?, atado y sin salida
sin poder lograr odiarte tan solo por un instante
sin pensar en otra cosa, no hay nada m?s importante

Esta vez, te juro que esta vez no fallar?
no bastar? lo que pueda decirte con palabras
c?mo poder decir lo que se siente

Si contigo descubr? que ahora es que queda vida
y que puedo respirar el aire que t? respiras
y cambi? mi vida entera el haberte conocido
y que s? vali? la pena haber esperado tanto

esta vez no cabe duda,
encontr? lo que esperaba,
alguien como t?

Esta vez no cabe duda,
encontr? lo que esperaba,
alguien como t?

c?mo poder decir lo que se siente

Muchas veces present? que un d?a me pasar?a
el sentirme tan as?, atado y sin salida...</i>

I hope everyone understands the words...if not, I could translate them for you...pm or em me!

Oh, by the way...it applies to the country itself...not to anyone in particular!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
good one.

Elderly Woman Behind The Counter in A Small Town. Pearl Jam.
Any time, any place.

I seem to recognize your face
Haunting, familiar, yet I can't seem to place it
Cannot find the candle of thought to light your name
Lifetimes are catching up with me
All these changes taking place, I wish I'd seen the place
But no one's ever taken me
Hearts and thoughts they fade, fade away...

I swear I recognize your breath
Memories like fingerprints are slowly raising
Me, you wouldn't recall, for I'm not my former
It's hard when, you're stuck upon the shelf
I changed by not changing at all, small town predicts my fate
Perhaps that's what no one wants to see
I just want to scream...hello...
My god its been so long, never dreamed you'd return
But now here you are, and here I am
Hearts and thoughts they fade...away...

Hearts and thoughts they fade...away...
Hearts and thoughts they fade...

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry for not answering my own survey first, I am slowly learning the rules

I have music in my head constantly. If you ever meet me, just ask. I'll tell you what song is currently playing. :) Merengue hasn't topped the pile yet, though, since it's a relatively new arrival on my personal scene. I've been listening to ska since 1981, the so-called second wave, or the two-tone era. It just makes me smile. So my everyday song is Rudie Can't Fail which is a song by the Clash, but I like the Mighty Mighty Bosstones version better.
I've only been to the DR twice, but both times I couldn't get the tune Out of Control by Oingo Boingo out of my head.

"Everyone says sooner or later you'll reach the end
of the line
When things get rough, some say it's easy to jump the ship,
you decide
I say "don't throw it away. You've got so many reasons why.
Though you've heard them all before and you're getting very tired,
put your head on my lap and I'll sing you a lullaby:"

That's sweet.
SLM

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Sorry for not answering my own survey first, I am slowly learning the rules

st louis mike said:
So my everyday song is Rudie Can't Fail

does this mean when you hit 100 posts you'll change your tag line to "been drinking brew for breakfast"?

mob :classic:

Booseroo

Jun 26, 2003
A Post DR Song?

My Mom brought me down to the DR in '96 and we stayed for two years - off and on.

But I remember walking down Av. Sarasota one day (in Santo Domingo) and I had my walkman going and damn if I didn't here these words:

"Wrap me up in a package of lies
Send me off to a coconut island"

I think it is a R.E.M. song, don't remember the name though.

I was mad at her for plucking me out of the cold Canadian tundra (where all my friends were) and plunking me down in the DR. Now those two years hold some of my fondest memories and I WISH, WISH, WISH I never had to leave. I miss the country, the people, the culture, the friends I made there. We never know when we have it good, do we? Imagine being mad at your Mom for giving you the opportunity to live and experience a tropical paradise? What was I thinking??????

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Not a half-bad idea

mobrouser said:
does this mean when you hit 100 posts you'll change your tag line to "been drinking brew for breakfast"?

mob :classic:

Maybe I might just do that. That?s a angry little song and I?m a angry little man. But angry in sort of an entertaining way, like the song......

I WENT TO THE MARKET TO REALISE MY SOUL
'CAUSE WHAT I NEED I JUST DON'T HAVE
FIRST THEY CURSE, THEN THEY PRESS ME TILL I HURT
WE SAY RUDIE CAN'T FAIL

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
This may have nothing to do...

...with the topic, but it pertains to music and it's DR related...

Ra?l Acosta from the merengue group "Oro S?lido" was at the station yesterday and he said something I thought was somehow funny but definetly true.

My boss has never been to DR, he's going there for the 4th of July...and was asking Ra?l if he knew how much I love the country...

Ra?l, being a good friend of mine, said he knew...and he had good advice for him ... if you're going there for the first time...because the 'motto' of the island is...

<b><i>"REPUBLICA DOMINICANA...O TE QUEDAS A VIVIR...O TE CASAS"...</b></i>

Anybody ever heard of this before?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I've never heard of that, MQ, but it certainly rings true!

I can't think of my own DR theme song, but for a lot of you guys out there I would choose "Bang a Gong" or perhaps "Hey Hey, What Can I Do" by Led Zeppelin. Just substitute "guiras" for "guitars". Ha ha.

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Now I'm going way OT

Tony C said:
Official theme song of DR1

Bannana Republics By Jimmy Buffet. Download it before it is too late!

Banana Republic was written by the late Steve Goodman who also penned 'City of New Orleans,' a big hit for Arlo Guthrie, or as Steve always said in concert "That song saved my ass. I play it every show." I saw him three times and he made that same comment all three times. He also wrote 'You don't have to call me darlin, darlin' which was a monster hit for David Allen Coe. Steve said that he and John Prine actually did set out to write the perfect country western song and turns out they did. "Not bad for a couple of jews from Chicago," Steve would say. Gee, I miss him. Luekemia finally did him in at age 36.
If you're poking around for just some great 'songs' check out any of his first five albums.

ps I just booked my flight and will be in the DR from Nov 17 to Dec 2. I sure would like to meet some of you fine people. I'll post again as the time draws nearer.
st louis mike

Booseroo

Jun 26, 2003
Banana Republic

Thanks TonyC for the headsup!

And yes I found it on Morpheus. Haven't been able to snag it yet though.

Lucky you stlouismike. I wish I could afford to visit again. But that would probably be a mistake though because I would be hard-pressed to make myself leave again!!!! Truly the DR is THE paradise of choice.

This site is absolutley the GREATEST. Glad I found it. I never got any response on my first posting yet though. I really want to find my friend Oscar Urena - I could use his shoulder right about now. Life has not been kind since I left the DR and he was a person that always understood the things I was going through when we hung out together. It's not like I'm friendless now or anything but he is SPECIAL. His uncle owned the Urena Building on 27 de Febreuro (am I spelling that right?). I would call and try to find some contact info through the uncle, but I can not afford that at this point in time. Any volunteers in the DR? Gotta warn you though, Oscar and his uncle never saw eye to eye - but he might know how to get in touch with him. Lordie, I hate losing touch with friends - such a drag :(