Michigan DR party

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Just checking with posters on the board to see if there are any other Michiganders or those close to the southern border of Michigan who would like to join some of us for a DR party? So far we have Stephanie, Dale7 (Howard), Suarezn and myself who are interested. I have heard there may be a few more of you in our general area.

Let me know if you want to be included in the get together. We have two of us making trips soon to the DR so we will have to work around those vacation times. Just PM me if you want to know more.

Tondra

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Tondra,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada,

No where near Michigan (today anyway), but my son has just moved to Windsor, ON to begin his Master's in Chemistry so I will be visiting him in July (tentatively 11 - 15). If your DR1 party/reunion were to be in that time frame I would be willing to gate crash (with permission, of course - would that still be gate crashing?).

Keep me in mind if it works for you guys - if not that's OK too.

Gregg

Stephanie

Jun 9, 2003
Hello

I am available any time except July 3-8th when I will be in DR with my honey:cheeky: any ideas yet where we can meet? I think that Detroit area would be a most central location? Keep me posted on the agenda and anything I can do to help. Stephanie

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
The more the merrier!

If we can pull it together by Sat., July 12th, then FireGuy can join us (you would definitely not be a gate crasher :)). The only person I am not sure of their schedule is Suarezn. I will PM him and see if that date works for him.

I am very unfamiliar with Detroit party places. I stayed at a Days Inn by the airport which was quite reasonable at the time (I haven't checked their summer rates yet). They have a lounge and decent food (no Dominican atmosphere though), but maybe we could all chip in and rent a suite for the night and party there. It is also easy to find for anyone not familiar with the area. Since I live too far away to drive after a DR-like party, I will need to get a room so I won't be a road hazard :laugh: .

I don't have any Dominican music, but I am more than willing to bring my first homemade batch of mamajuana to share with everyone. If someone has some merengue, bachata, etc., please bring it along and I can bring a boombox.

If the Days Inn sounds okay with everyone, I will check out prices and availability. I know we are cutting it close for July 12, but I would sure like to include FireGuy to enlarge our numbers. If that is too tight, let me know.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone else who would like to join us.

Tondra

DR1 get together Michigan

for those who do not know their way around Detroit, like Fireguy and possibly others, it might be better to have a get together in Windsor on Huron Church line at Kelseys, just down the road from the Ambassador bridge. Detroit can be a nightmare to find your way around.

The Days Inn at the airport is a minimum 3/4 hour drive out of the City of Detroit at the best of times.

In Windsor you Americans can take advantage of your premium US dollar (around $1.35 CDN).

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
The party may be growing!

Just got a PM from Suarezn that he will be out of town the weekend FireGuy is coming to Windsor. So it looks as though we need to find a date (if possible) that all of us have free.

I managed to find a lounge called Bedrock's at a Best Western Hotel on Jackson Rd that plays Salsa, Merengue and Bachata on Saturday nights. So far this seems to be our best bet. So anyone who is interested, let me know when you will be in the area and I will try my best to choose a weekend open for most. So far the first half of July is out as is Aug. 26 - Sept. 4. I will not be available the weekend after Labor Day. We still have open dates to work with, so PM me with your availability.

FireGuy, maybe you can make another visit to your son in Windsor. We sure would like to have you with us.

Tondra

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
I am open to various dates but I need at least a couple of weeks notice so that I can rearrange work details because in the summer I am very busy with work: sometimes I volunteer, I mean am forced to work for a full weekend:) That didn't sound too bad Tondra regarding the lounge. I am unfamiliar with Detroit, I only know how to get to the airport, lol. I will just sit back and see what everyone else is planning(location/date) and go from there.
dale7(Howard)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Tondra,

Like I said before "if it works for you guys - if not that's OK too".

I appreciate the attempt to be included.

Have a great get together.

Gregg

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
Update

I have checked out the exact location of the Best Western that has Salsa night, and it is in Ann Arbor. Is this too far for all of you to travel? (It is about a 2 hour drive for me per MapQuest.). I also checked the room rates there for the beginning of August and they are $165/night!! Maybe there are motels close that are cheaper. I will see. We could also meet later in the season which might lower the rate. Let me know what all of you think.

Tondra

gretchsean

Feb 7, 2003
da-michigan republic eh?

Man will I be bummed if I find out a bunch of you got together in Ann Arbor last weekend I was there and have been lazy about keeping up with my DR1 readings. Anyway, is this still in the works?

Stephanie

Jun 9, 2003
not yet

Hi there we havent decieded on a date yet probably later in the season or in the fall:) looking forward to it though!!!!

gretchsean

Feb 7, 2003
HMMM

Well we are leaving for the DR on August 18th, for the year, so if the party isn't earlier than that I may have to take a rain check until the summer version.;)

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
Bueno amigos and amigas!

I need some specific feedback as to who would be available in September for a get together. (This is getting tougher than I thought :))

I know it will be impossible to make it work for everyone, but the Best Western hotel in Ann Arbor seems to offer the best options for most, as it is just off I-94 and has a Salsa night on Saturdays. There are less expensive motels/hotels in the area for those driving a distance, like myself.

Let's set a date and bring together our love for the DR!

Tondra