Wake up

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
The PRD party is also full of crucks and I am so glad that my parents left the DR when I was still a small child. And perhaps, because I have had the opportunity to live in a foreign country is because I have the ability to see how politicians, espially the PRSC headed by Balaguer has massacred the Dominican people.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Corecto, the word is "crooks", and don't think that because you had the opportunity to live in another country you have the ability to see how the politicians have massacred the people. The Dominican people know how they have been treated without having to live outside the country. Also, be mindfull, the PRD does not have an exclusive franchise on crooks, the whole country and world has an assortment. It is the behavior of the politicos in the D.R. that is less subtle, to a point where it becomes a joke, a harmful joke. Regards, PJT

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Well....

I don't know about the whole "I lived in a foreign country so I can see what's wrong" crap. I've lived my life split up between the DR and the US and there's corruption everywhere. I was there during Balaguer's time and not every single day was horrible and bad as they put it. Granted, the man had his people in the streets taking care of business when anyone disagreed publicly with him, if you want proof, go to Villa Maria or Villa Consuelo and ask the older folks how things used to be back then (a Santo Domingo ghetto). My family has told me about how during the 12 year gov't from 1966-78 the people would have a day to mourn the missing and dead. Maybe the fact that you lived in a foreign country most of your life has kept you blind to the fact that there is corruption where you live at(the US, I'm sure) If you want DR history, read the "Manual de Historia Dominicana" by Frank Moya Pons" .....I read that sucker when I was 10 and the info still stays in my head to this day. There's tons more books in spanish that you can get about DR history and politics but you could ask other folks on the page for those. Don't take what I said as an insult or anything, it's just an opinion, everyone is entitled to one..........

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
Re: Well....

Maybe the fact that you lived in a foreign country most of your life has kept you blind to the fact that there is corruption where you live at(the US, I'm sure) If you want DR history, read the "Manual de Historia Dominicana" by Frank Moya Pons" .....I read that sucker when I was 10 and the info still stays in my head to this day. There's tons more books in spanish that you can get about DR history and politics but you could ask other folks on the page for those. Don't take what I said as an insult or anything, it's just an opinion, everyone is entitled to one.......... [/B][/QUOTE]

Believe it or not I know Prof. Pons pretty well since as a college student in New York I took a history course with him. He is very knowledgeable man, but the truth is that his job as a writer/historian is not to judge the history but to tell it like it is. However, we as his readers need to be able interpret what is published by great writers such prof. Pons.

Anyway, my point here was to tell people about the documentary about the Balaguer but some one pissed me off because he/she tried to justify Balaguer's way of handling people who did not agree with his barbarian way of solving political conflicts.

Thanks for correction for reminding me about Prof. Pons.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Corecto

If Frank Moya Pons was your history professor you did not learn much. This guy is one of those new revisionists of Dominican history, who thrive under the lack of true historians today. Most of our good historians are now dead and left a legacy of impostors like the Revolutionary General with the Haitian last name and the Baninter historian who used to be a N.Y.C. bum.

Look man, Frank spends most of his time reading books in a rocking chair in colonial zone bookstore reading other peoples books and then makes up his own history. He is also the Hippo man in charge of the enviromental agency and has done a disastrous job. In fact, more protected land and lumber has been destroyed since this man took over this agency than at any time during our history. This is the same guy who has allowed the Multi Caucedo Port destroy every mountain in Hato mayor, leaving the poor town without rivers and water.

Every rock in Hato Mayor is now in the Boca Chica area for landfill. Bonao is a disaster area. Almost every mountain has lost a piece of it due to illegal mining by government friends, legislators and other PRD predators. El Moro in Montecristi is now a luxury housing project by PRD and PPH people. The whole valley is full of luxury villas that try to equal Hippo*s villa in Jarabacoa, where two creeks have now dams for his private water pipes. Moya even allowed confiscated lumber into Hippo*s villa according to Nuria Piera, who had it all in tape.

So you can take your pseudo historian and enviromental hazzard man to the cleaners for me. He really needs to have his bald head transplanted in a river boulder.

TW

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Re: Corecto

golo said:
He is also the Hippo man in charge of the enviromental agency and has done a disastrous job. In fact, more protected land and lumber has been destroyed since this man took over this agency than at any time during our history.

So you can take your pseudo historian and enviromental hazzard man to the cleaners for me. He really needs to have his bald head transplanted in a river boulder.

TW

WHAT!!! :eek: :eek: They should put Candelier in that position again. He probably would've shot anyone trying to trim a branch.............que maldita vaina

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i'm glad golo said it before me, he makes it seem a lot more credible.

frank moya pons is a nice enough bloke to talk to and intelligent without a doubt.
the fact that his book is to be found in english has helped him tremendously, .................... but i have never rated him as a true historian.

that is my opinion whether you like it or not.

(actually, i would be surprised if mr. pons doesn't check dr1 on a regular basis.)

the first book i read on (recent) dominican history was bernard diederich's 'death of a goat' - the story of the trujillo assassination. diederich himself, i believe is not too popular with dominicans, but it is a very good book.

corecto

Jun 18, 2003
Re: Corecto

golo said:
If Frank Moya Pons was your history professor you did not learn much. This guy is one of those new revisionists of Dominican history, who thrive under the lack of true historians today. Most of our good historians are now dead and left a legacy of impostors like the Revolutionary General with the Haitian last name and the Baninter historian who used to be a N.Y.C. bum.

Look man, Frank spends most of his time reading books in a rocking chair in colonial zone bookstore reading other peoples books and then makes up his own history. He is also the Hippo man in charge of the enviromental agency and has done a disastrous job. In fact, more protected land and lumber has been destroyed since this man took over this agency than at any time during our history. This is the same guy who has allowed the Multi Caucedo Port destroy every mountain in Hato mayor, leaving the poor town without rivers and water.

Every rock in Hato Mayor is now in the Boca Chica area for landfill. Bonao is a disaster area. Almost every mountain has lost a piece of it due to illegal mining by government friends, legislators and other PRD predators. El Moro in Montecristi is now a luxury housing project by PRD and PPH people. The whole valley is full of luxury villas that try to equal Hippo*s villa in Jarabacoa, where two creeks have now dams for his private water pipes. Moya even allowed confiscated lumber into Hippo*s villa according to Nuria Piera, who had it all in tape.

TW

:angry: Golo, thanks for that long response. I agree with much of what you say about Prof. Pons as a politician; however, it seems as if you believe that I am a member of the PRD party and I am not, for your information. If fact, I think Hippo is one of the most ignorant, incapable president we the DR has ever had. But then I also think Balaguer was a criminal and very complicated individual. So what where does it leave me. Well, I think that very few of the people who have been or that have aspired to be president in the DR have been capable people. I can tell you that I was a great sympathizer of Juan Bosch, though. However, do call a ?Peledista? either.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
The problem, as I see it, is in the political culture. Usually, in the US, being an office political holder means a degree of financial sacrifice while you serve, with the pay off being after you leave office, offering your experience for sale, the so called revolving door. In the Dominican Republic, is more get rich while you can and let the next government deal with the mess. Balaguer was not personally corrupt but he did allow corruption to take place, but nothing in the scale that we see now. The last time there was this kind of crises was in 1984 under Salvador Jorge Blanco. Is interesting that all previous PRD governments have ended in disaster: Guzman killed himself over corruption; Jorge Blanco was tried for corruption; Hippo, well lets see what happens...