Satellite Internet

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It's now available on the north coast. Installation (Including equipment and dish) US$2,300.00 + US$104.00/month. If the moderator OK's it I'll post the company's info. (I have no involvement with the company)

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
I can not, say yes.

I would like to do it, but somebody else pays the bill$ around here.

Rob might prefer to have them contact him, to arrange for paid advertising.

I'll let Rob, decide.:cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

P

phileco

too expensive

$104 a month is too expensive , I know a company who wants to set up a network , high speed internet satellite , 2 Mb download , and IP voice ( phone call at a few cents per minute for all destinations )

they need only 5 dishes ( 1.20m ) to rent a degree on the satellite , each dish can deserve up to 50 appartments by cable , or 50 houses by wireless antenna . ( range 5 kms free view for each antenna )

after installation ( one complete dish is about $8 or 10 000 for 50 to 100 clients , with a hub , ) the rental is around $30 to $ 40 per month per house or appartment . phone calls are billed by the company , you can even resell those services .

:confused:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's one thing wanting to do it, it's another "actually" doing it and making it work.

US$104 is real cheap right now as nobody else is "really" doing it.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
2 Cents

I must say the $104 seems a little much as I have contacted someone that offers it for about $70.... BUT they want $5000 for the equipment and installation. I'd pay the extra each month to save the $2700 start up costs!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Why would anyone want satellite internet in the DR? We already have great internet access with Codetel, and I think the other DSL providers are pretty decent too.

With satellite internet you're going to get huge amounts of latency, which is going to mean impossible delays on VoIP phonecalls, and somewhat slower browsing. Sure, transfers will be fast once you get them started.. but realistically, how much of your time is spent on long transfers vs browsing and looking at different web pages?

Also, I can pay $30/month for dsl compared to $104 for satellite?

I must be totally missing the point here!

Adrian

kbf

Apr 24, 2002
You are missing the point!!!!!!!!!

Not everybody is living close enough to be able to have DSL.
Happy people live on the countyside.

Karl

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You're right Karl. Most people in the countryside don't have cable or phone much less internet. For a "decent" monthly fee you can have it all.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Via Satellite

When the (very poor) wireless provider here went dark (finally) in December we went to satellite. Cost was about $3500, plus $125/month. That's what we're using to send this message now. Ask "Cris" on this board for more information, or e-mail me for her e-mail address. She and her husband set up ours ... and we found them through information posted here on DR1.

DSL/ISDN is really only good for a few miles from the telephone switch. Very reliable in some places (worked fine for us at an apartment in Santiago) and not at all in others (1 day good out of 30 at a house on the East side of Santiago). Right now we are 2 miles past the end of the telephone landlines, and 7 miles from the switch. This is our only option but it works well.

If DSL is available that is the best option. Satellite or wireless is really only good option where terrestrial service is unavailable or unreliable.