Barcelo Decameron

Sunshyne

Nov 27, 2002
Hi All, Does anyone know the "new" name of this hotel and whether it is open? My travel agent said that it is closed for renovations, but I'm not sure if that's right.

I'm looking to stay there again in August as it is (or was) cheap, laid-back, fun, and most importantly, a short guagua ride away from San Pedro and S. Domingo, both places where I like to make the rounds.

Does anyone know of Cdn tour operators offering the new version of this hotel?

Thanks!

S

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Sunshyne said:
Hi All, Does anyone know the "new" name of this hotel and whether it is open? My travel agent said that it is closed for renovations, but I'm not sure if that's right.

I'm looking to stay there again in August as it is (or was) cheap, laid-back, fun, and most importantly, a short guagua ride away from San Pedro and S. Domingo, both places where I like to make the rounds.

Does anyone know of Cdn tour operators offering the new version of this hotel?

Thanks!

S

Skip the ever so horrible AI's and stay in a good tourist hotel in Boca Chica putting you nicely 1/2 way between both your destinations. SP to the east, 17RD$ guagua, SDQ to the west, 20RD$ gua gua.

You can be goo-goo over gua-gua's.

Or if you must the Hamaca is very nice, the Don Juan is cheaper and on the beach and the Dominican Bay is (probably cheaper yet and should be) somewhat misnamed as it is not on the Bay which is really more of a lagoon. All are AI's though.

And all have the advantage of not being apparently closed.

If you're flying charter (ick) you'll probably go into La Romana as they all seem to go there now from Canada (no more SDQ) so this (Boca) is not much worse a cab or bus ride than Juan Dolio.

EddieW

Apr 15, 2002
Yes, The Decameron Is Still Open

Yes, the Decameron is still open. I spoke to Raphael in reception this morning. They are no longer run by Barcelo, so things have changed a bit. But according to Raphael, things have changed for the better. The food is better, the employees are being paid a little more, and everyone is generally happier.

Since they are no longer part of the Barcelo chain, you cannot reserve on Barcelo's web site. You will get a very good rate if you call them directly and speak to Eduardo in reservations. Phone number is 809-526-2009.

I have stayed at the Decameron 5 times. Sunday I will be arriving for my 6th visit. Obviously, I LOVE the Decameron.

When I return, I'll do a resort review on this site to let everyone know how things are going at the Decameron since the change in management/ownership.