Soy Products in the DR

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have been asked by a vegetarian who recently purchased a condo in the Dominican Republic to post these questions about soy products.

1. What soy products are available in the DR? In Sosua we have soy cheese, soy milk, soy protein powder, and powdered soy, but not soy burgers and sausages such as are available in the US. Can they be purchased in the DR? If so, where?

2. What problems would an incoming traveler from the US be likely to experience at the airport if he arrived with a supply of frozen soy burgers and sausages in his luggage?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Salud y Vida, at Nu?ez the C?ceres in the corner with Sarasota sells that kind of products. Also the Chinese shops on Benito Monci?n stack an even larger selection. I used to buy them when I quit meat for an strictly vegetarian diet (that I later had to relax), but I can?t be bothered with substitutions. You wouldn?t believe the ammount of chemicals, artificial flavors, colors and aromas they put into that stuff. I'd rather return to a meat-eating diet.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've received some additional input from other sources. Given the possibility others are interested in this subject, here is what else I have learned.

1. Playero supermarket in Sosua, and possibly large supermarkets elsewhere, sell several types of textured soya in plastic bags. People who use it tell me you can make burgers and other meatless meals with these products.

2. Pricemart and Nacional in Santiago and Santo Domingo sometimes have veggi burgers.

3. In Cabarete, the restaurant ONNOs located on the beach has veggi burgers on the menu. I'm told they are excellent.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Following on on Ken's post, at the Playero, check next to the rice on the bottom shelf. You'll find a variety of soy products - check every little bag as they are not easy to recognize. Also some of that stuff the vegetarians just love - Looks like bacon bits and tastes like bacon bits but I have no idea what it is called. Hope this description makes sense...