Vehicle Safety?

CPYou

Jun 28, 2003
www.vehicleraffle.com
Hello,

New member here... Before I ask my question, I wanted to thank you all for all the great posts on this board. I am moving to the DR some time early next year, and these boards have been a HUGE help in getting to know everything needed.

On to the question...

I am looking at getting a home in Sosua. I was wondering how safe it would be having a 2003 Hummer H2 there as a daily driven vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As long as you never need it repaired, fine. I'm sure you will attract lots of attention driving a Hummer. That can sometimes be a good or bad thing...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
An H2 would certainly draw attention, and thus be more of a target than other SUVs.

But can you even buy an H2 in the DR? If not, and you're considering importing one, you're looking at a HUGE expense and much hassle. And in any case, I strongly suspect that repairs and parts will be a big headache (about the only models for which parts are plentiful and repairs easy to get are Japanese cars).

So in sum, I think perhaps you might be better off being a bit less ambitious....

Regards,
Keith

CPYou

Jun 28, 2003
www.vehicleraffle.com
Well, I was going to bring the Hummer (company car) down with me. Going to have another SUV as well, but figured that the Hummer might come in handy down there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A bigger problem than the attention the Hummer will generate is the expense and hassle of getting it here. Unless you can't survive without it , and have deep pockets, you would be well advised to leave it behind.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Keith R said:
But can you even buy an H2 in the DR?

I don't know if you can buy one in the DR, but I can verify that there is already at least one H2 Hummer on the island. Hard to miss it as it is bright canary yellow in color!

It passed us going eastbound as we neared Boca Chica last month. Our driver said it was owned by some Colonel in the DR Army. :)

Swede

Last edited:

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
My neighbor, Ramon Martinez has a yellow one. Seems like Santo Domingo Motors is a dealer for them.

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
CPYOU, If you want a more "common" SUV which will be easier to mantain and repare, I recommend you a Toyota Land Cruiser, a Prado or a Mitsubishi Montero. If you are more interested in the high end market, I think you would like a Lexus LX470. You could buy a Range Rover, Cayenne or an X5, but then again I think that they are more luxury than anything. Good Luck.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Frankly, from my experience of 4 yrs living in SD (which has the most dealers & repair shops), the second part of your question is the real key if you do not buy Mitsubishi, Toyota or Honda. There are plenty of places that can sell you a vehicle, but not all provide good repair & parts service. So check first not only who sells them, but also some background on their track record on service and parts.

Regards,
Keith