Baggage Allowance on AA to DR

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I just checked the archives, could not find anything recent on this. Have also checked on aa.com -- they say for intl destinations "check with your agent." Sigh. Instead of playing confusing phone menu and waiting-on-hold games, I thought maybe I'd post and see what recent experience has been among DR1ers.

I had recently been told that the weight allowance on intl flights had been changed by AA down from 70 lbs per bag to 50 lbs per bag. While I see on aa.com that this is the case for AA domestic flights, they seem to still allow 70 lbs/bag to PR, so I'm guessing the same goes for the DR. My suegra says it was still 70 lbs back in March, when she returned to the States. Can any more recent AA travelers confirm/clarify for me? It would be very much appreciated! As many of you with Dominican family will doubtless understand, since we have not been back to the DR for 4 yrs and my wife has extensive family there, we will doubtless be packed to the limits (my wife's denials to the contrary aside! ;) )

Regards,
Keith

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
Loaded Down!

Keith, We went down the end of May with two suitcases loaded with stuff for the school kids plus our own stuff. Each had to weigh at least 100#! We checked in at JFK and nothing was said about the weight.
John

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
You could have problems in PR since you'll be taking a propellor plane over to DR. They pay more attention to weight on the prop planes. AA is in the best position to give you an answer and their phone system seems to be reasonably well thought out.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
KC,
I'm not traveling via PR to DR. Never have, never will. I was just suggesting their rules for PR might be a point of comparison. Your point, though, is well worth keeping in mind for those that do intend to hop over from PR.

John, glad to hear it! My wife & suegra always somehow manage to back the bags so that each one weighs 70 lbs to the ounce. You should see the looks we've gotten sometimes when we check in the bags in! :rolleyes:
Regards,
Keith

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
KeithR

The phone info at AA is a real pain but I recently checked and the 70 lb limit is still in effect for international flights and 50 lbs for regional flights. I double checked to ensure we would not have problems on our flight leg in the US and I was told that as long as the final destination was international the 70 lb limit would be used.

Mr. JanH (Doug)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Many thanks for the info, Doug! Yeah, I tend to agree with you (and not with KenoshaChris) that AA's phone system can be a real pain. Not impossible, just not as user-friendly as they like to pretend it is.
Best Regards,
Keith

chicker

Jan 1, 2002
Important side issue

How much is 70 pounds in unopened Presidente cans?
St louis mike
already scheming