Cabarete Bay/Transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
What's the best way (fastest) to get from POP airport to Cabarete Bay Hotel. Any info on Cabarete Bay Hotel? We are going to visit in September.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi Marina,

Greetings from Atlantic Canada.

As far as I know Starz Resorts are marketing the new section of the Estrella del Mar as the Cabarete Bay Hotel.

Gregg

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
OOPS - wrong hotel

Sorry - Carabete Bay Hotel. Not even close...guess I really need this vacation!

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
Ken - How Much

Ken: What should we expect to pay for a taxi from POP airport to Cabarete Bay Hotel? Is the hotel any good or will I hate it?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If it is a Starz Resort property, it should be a very nice hotel. They just opened the Sosua Bay Hotel and it is excellent. They are trying to make a place for themselves with hotels more upscale than the majority in the Sosua/Cabarete area.

As far as cost to the hotel, I don't know. Taxis based at airport tend to charge more than those based in Sosua and Cabarete because there is no other option. Also, peso has fallen considerably in recent weeks. If I had to guess, I would say in neighborhood of RD$500, or US$15-20.

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
Scott - transport

Scott - Thanks. We will probably take you up on that. I don't have flight times yet - will E-mail when we do. Thanks!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
No problem. Just let me know as soon as you know. I am just hooking up a friend that could use the xtra income. I think the rate by taxi is 20$ US one way to Sosua and more to Cabarete as it is more than twice as far from the airport as Sosua.

Regards
Scott

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That's what I thought. It may be a little more from airport to Cabarete because of the lack of competition there, but it will certainly not be close to the $35-40 figure.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Ken said:
That's what I thought. It may be a little more from airport to Cabarete because of the lack of competition there, but it will certainly not be close to the $35-40 figure.
My 35- dollar quote was BOTH ways by private car. Not each way Ken. I will bet you anything you want you will NOT get a cab at the airport to Cabarete for $20 bux.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Round trip is a horse of another color. If you said you were giving a round-trip price in response to a question about one-way fare, I missed it.

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
Escott: Private cars are usually nicer than taxis, and I will still be contacting you as soon as I have dates. You are a dear to have offered!

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Taxi Fares

Escott,
The US$20 is correct but we admit it is quoted and charged by our regular taxi guy. He certainly does not hang about at the airport but lives nearby. He's a regular older guy with a large mini-bus mustard coloured vehicle and all in good order.
I guarantee that if we called him to meet anyone at POP and bring them to Cabarete then the charge would be US$20.
We would agree that there are those rip-off merchants who run airport taxis who will charge what they think they can get away with!
Regards
Peter & Alex

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Patbro... Hope you are a woman. Hate to be called a dear by a guy.

Peter and Alex... I was just trying to take care of this guy and just trying to point out that getting off the plane and getting in a cab would cost a lot more. They wont have the number to your boy and my boy is cheaper anywho:)

Ken hasn't been to an airport since Trujillo was in office and his memory is lacking a bit anyway. What would you expect from a guy that only sleeps during the day like Dracula anywho?

Escott

patbro

Jun 29, 2003
Yes, I am a female. :rolleyes:
By the way, anyone want to tell me their favorite restaurants in Cabarete, Sosua and Puerto Plata? What's to see in Puerto Plata besides beach? Any stuff not to be missed in the "big city" (we are planning to go and bum around in PP for a day).
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.