"Don't Buy Where Things Are Expensive"

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The headline of El Nacional this morning reads "Mejia dice no compra donde venden caro"

What a joke. Mejia blaming the high prices on the merchants and businessmen who have been protesting the rising taxes and out-of-control government spending that has put the peso on the skids.

I hope that the people are smart enough not to be misled as to the real source of their distress.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Former U.S. President, Harry Truman, had a motto, "The Buck Stops Here". It appears El Presidente does subscribe to the same. Regards, PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Let Them Eat Casabe!"

That was "HIS" answer when the price of "Plantanos" doubled!
Guess "HE" never heard about "Marie Antoinette"!!!!!Cris Colon;)

Please accept my spelling errors!cc;)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: "Let Them Eat Casabe!"

Criss Colon said:
Guess "HE" never heard about "Marie Antoinette"!!!!!Cris Colon;)

HISTORICAL FOOTNOTE:

English speakers through the years have misunderstood what Her Highness Ms. Antoinette said.

The "cake" she was referring to was not the sugary sweet confection you have on your birthday (people always use this quote to show that someone is out-of-touch with reality since how could she be so stupid as to know people were starving and couldn't afford cake).

Instead, the "cake" in question was the crud that builds up or "cakes" on the inside of your coal fired oven after much use. This actually puts her in a much worse light. She knew people were starving and said "let 'em".

P.S.
I am not to proud to ask ... what's "casabe?"

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Thanks Pib. Alba's probably had some here or offered me some and I didn't know what it was and went back to work at the computer without trying it. Sounds good though.

back to the original subject though, I like El Hippo's idea. Now, where can I go shop for an alternative government that charges me less than his?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Buy the "Garlic Flavored" Casabe!

Then pop it in the toaster till it is lightly browned,then spread some butter on to melt in! Surprisingly,this treat has only 2 calories!!!!(I WISH!) Cris colon;)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
MMMmmMmMmmm. Garlic!

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but Hippolito made me think.

Is there some reason why governments have to be monolithic? I mean, look, we all voted with our feet, or plane tickets, or whatever to leave where we were and come here. If we get fed up with this situation we certainly have the option of going elsewhere ... unlike many of the poor souls who are effectively trapped not having the resources to be mobile.

So ... could a country conceivably allow it's citizen's to choose which competing party's laws, taxes, regulations etc. to subscribe to? There are some similiarities extant in the world today. The United States and Canada for example where states create their own laws independent of the Federal government, and even more directly to the point Malaysia where a seperate and equal 'Sharia' law system exists side-by-side with traditional English law for those who are devout Muslims.

Couldn't we have a tick on our cedula that says I am a Leonel citizen so I don't pay that tax I pay this one and I use Leonel Pesos, or I'm a Hippo citizen and I pay with Hippo Pesos (which probably would got for about 10 to each Leonel Peso), etc. Maybe you could switch your "citizenship" every 2 years ot so, but to each group would come their own shadow government.

That way we could do exactly what his Hipponess suggests, and not buy from the high priced government's. I wonder how he'd like THAT.

How's that for a new political strategy, Chris?

Tom

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Looks like its Friday after noon!

Where did you get those ideas,out of your head,or out of a bottle of Brugal?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc:cool:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Nah, the Brugal just makes me wanna punch Amicus in the nose. I am working on a glass of champagne right now.

:: blushing ::

But I was serious ... and not drunk when I wrote that. Well, Chris and I always have our better political debates while we're getting "hair-brained" as she puts it. But she's at the banana farm today so I am bothering you guys instead. OK. No more political ideas until I've finished at least one more bottle on wine.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
XanaduRanch said:
.... I like El Hippo's idea. Now, where can I go shop for an alternative government that charges me less than his?

We have choices, we can always move to Haiti ;)

Cassabe? do people really eat cassabe bread? I've tried but end up with a mouth full of crumbs - what am I doing wrong?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I liked my idea better, Chris. Why do governments have to be defined by their territory instead of their citizenry? Who thought that one up? Time for a change!

Alba says she puts the Casabe in the microwave for a few seconds with butter and it comes out a bit softer less crumbly. She had some here for Semana Santa and I missed it.