Computer guy coming to Sosoua

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
Computer guy coming to Sosua

I am *hopefully* going to be coming to Sosua at the end of July for a job, from the frozen tundra of Wisconsin. I have been beating my head against the wall trying to figure certain things out, and have read many many posts and sifted through information on other web sites.

Question(s):

What would be the best way to go about bringing my PC to the DR? Pack it in a bag (just the CPU) or ship it down? Without going into detail, it'd cost me a small fortune to replace it.

What would the best short term housing option be in Sosua? I read up on a resort or two, but heard of some places for about $180 US in a good part of town..

How much would it cost to purchase a moped or motorcycle?

I'll be coming down with nothing more than a few suitcases, as my things here will be sold or stored. And if anyone needs a computer person once I get down there, I have some excellent references

Thanks for any answers...

Corey
Milwaukee, WI

Last edited:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Good luck, Corey.
Sosua is a great place. There are many places for less than $180! Check the archives.
As always, it is highly recommended that you check out the lay of the land ... yada yada yada.
Stay at Sofy's B&B in Puerto Plata, she is well connected and can probably introduce you to many good people.
Many people on this board are in Sosua - they are also very helpful.
Since nobody knows you, you'll have to establish yourself.
Yada yada yada, check the archives. There is so much to read, you might miss your plane...
Can't say it enough.
?Por supuesto habla espa?ol, verdad?
mk
Milwaukee, WI

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Regarding housing, what are you looking for? For $180 do you mean per day, per week, or per month?

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
I meant monthly... :)

Mi espa?ol hablado es....malo...pero mi espa?ol escrito es OK. I used to be almost fluent about 5 years ago...and have been working at it. I know enough to get by.

Thanks for your responses!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Corey,
There are many places in Sosua in your price range that will be comfortable enough.
If you're having any trouble finding the right place, just drop in and we'll help you out.
As for your CPU, I would just pack it well into the interior of a good solid suitase and bring it along as baggage.
Customs may or may not find it, but you can play dumb and smile a lot and usually pass on through without any trouble.
Small motorbikes cost approx. $2,000 US, depending on the model. Nothing fancy, of course, but it will get you around.
You can buy used as well for a fair amount less.
Marco.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
For $180/month you choices of something really desirable are very limited. If you are able to get something at Condos Dominicanos in that ball park, you had best grab it.

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Assuming that your computer is a standard minitower, it will fit into a carryon bag.

First, however, remove the hard disk, at least, and put it into a "thin" backpack. You might do the same for any other goodies of sufficient value, for example expensive video card or dvd drive.

That way if they force you to check it anyway you will be partially covered, at least.

Put everything else in a checked bag.

Monitors are cheap in the DR, so don't worry about that.

I did that myself a couple of years ago.

BTW, carry a boot disk and power cord in case they make you prove that it is a computer.

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
Well, the advice on the computer is quite impressive...Each card/component is very expensive...it's a 3 GHZ PC I built myself...so um...I guess putting it in pieces in a carryon and checking other pieces of it are the answer? he he...It just makes me laugh. I could easily fit the flat panel LCd in a bag...but I'll just leave it :)

Thanks much for the advice...I view this as an experience...that's for sure. After dealing with the American INS & the canadian officials, moving to London and back, and some other border corssing experiences, it is difficult to fathom getting a desktop PC into the country with no problem.

Thanks rockysbluesbar, Ken, andy a, Larry (ILoveDR), & mkohn. I've already contacted Condos Dominicanos, and plan on reserving a studio this coming week.

This message board has been, and will continue to be a great resource.

philly

Feb 14, 2003
I brought in an IBM desktop computer last visit. Packed it in my carryon and stuffed it in the overhead bin...We entered in through Santiago and didn't have a problem. It was December though and they let things in without tax during December so not sure about any other times. Also have brought in a couple of laptops no problem.

FYI if you are traveling alone or without spanish speaking people you may want to try the stupid "No Hablo Espanol" but with a real northern drawl and look confused if they question you...believe it or not this has helped me in the past...out of a bribe, traffic stop and when I lost my turist visa and trying to leave at the airport...

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
no hablo espanol.

Interesting...I don't think it will be a problem to come up with the Northern Drawl...I don't mind paying a tax, but would like to avoid it...initially I'll be coming down on a tourist card.

I've been sifting through this site since February, and have decided to come down at the end of July regardless of the presence of a job offer. At worst it will turn into a 12 month vacation. And since we only go 'round once...

The grind of being a computer consultant in the midwest, with the rotten winters and unstable job market make this rather attractive.

Thanks for the advice.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
The employment/consultant situation in the DR will provide you with new meaning to the word "unstable". I'd think of it more as a vacation while possibly making a few pesos along the way.

Chris--Kenosha, WI

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
Instability

KenoshaChris-

I'm really not worried. I have saved up enough to cover my expenses for 12 months without working. I have no debt, and my current living expenses alone approach $2000 per month. I realize there is a definite instability in the economy, and that the standard of living is different than what I am accustomed to.

I don't view this experience as a way to bank a lot of money, or live excessively. I view this as an experience that will allow me to get a new perspective on life. I am very fed up with the rat race of the US, the insane competition for jobs in the IT market, and the high cost of living.

After being on call, as a consultant, 24/7 for the last 7 years...working for different companies every few months...interviewing more times in 5 years than most do in a life-time...I'm not looking for quick cash, nor do I care about saving up to buy another status symbol to quench the thirst for consumerism that my society has deemed appropriate.

I am simply looking to try a new way of life, in yet another country. My gut tells me I will indeed love it. Poverty...black outs...no water pressure...bad water....crime...expensive food...expensive utilities...to some, a sub-standard infrastructure. A different pace, a different culture, a different climate...a different sense of community.

Those good and bad things, regardless of how others view my decision to leave the comfort of the US, will combine to make an experience that will make me a better person, whether in the US, the DR or Europe.

In my eyes, the only thing I have to lose is money. There's more to be made; and lots of time to do it.

Thanks for the perspective :)

Last edited:

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
Corey,

I want to congratulate you on your realistic attitude. So many newcomers are looking for paradise, and won't be told that it isn't.

The DR does have certain things to offer for certain people, however, at the price of lack of infrastructure, security, etc. You seem to grasp that fact. As you say, "...A different pace, a different culture, a different climate...a different sense of community". Exactly, if the DR is worthwhile, that is why. To me, the climate is almost unbearable, but maybe it's a welcome change for you.

I don't know about your choice of Sosua - it reminds me of Tijuana, complete with people wanting to "watch your car" and trinkets being hawked everywhere, but to each his own.

At least in Sosua you'll have the expat support group, which is also important, especially for a newcomer.

You mentioned a motorcycle, which can carry your DR experience to a higher level. It's much too dangerous to ride one in city traffic, but in the REAL, rural, DR it gives you freedom that others don't have. You get to hobnob with the real Dominicans in real circumstances - the ultimate DR experience.

BTW, about packing the computer, I believe that you're still allowed a "thin" backpack in addition to the carryon. That's why I suggested putting the good stuff into the backpack and hand carrying it no matter what.

Since you have an LCD panel, you should probably take it - packed well in the checked baggage (if you have room, of course). Last time I looked at monitors in the DR (Plaza Lama in Santiago), a 19" was about 3300 pesos (exchange rate 18 to 1). Although the price is reasonable, no need to buy one if you can take your LCD panel.

When you arrive, don't let any of the airport hustlers grab either your backpack or carryon, no matter what. Try like hell to keep them from grabbing your suitcase, too - kick it along the floor if you don't have a free hand until you get outside to a taxi. No matter if it takes 15 minutes to get there. Then don't let the driver put ANYTHING in the trunk, such that he could drive off without you. Get another taxi if he insists. DON'T let a "friend" of his go along for any reason, either (the 2 of them could mug you). When you arrive, GET OUT FIRST WITH ALL YOUR LUGGAGE, then pay. Have exact change, too.

Oh, about the motorcycle, 10 or 12,000 pesos for a good Yamaha 100, which is the preferred motorcycle in the countryside, and also by the motorconchos (motorcycle taxis).

Good luck! Maybe we'll meet sometime.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Re: Instability

cmilliman said:
I am very fed up with the rat race of the US, the insane competition for jobs in the IT market, and the high cost of living.

After being on call, as a consultant, 24/7 for the last 7 years...working for different companies every few months...interviewing more times in 5 years than most do in a life-time...

Made the move two years ago after 10 years running an IT consultancy - same environment - same pressure - flying more in a year than most commercial pilots - Delta Million Miler - Preferred on most other airlines - insane customer requirements - insane working hours - insane pressure to compete - simply insane pressure. Three weeks worth of suits of clothes, one week in the closet, one week in the drycleaners and one week in the bag - restaurant and airport food six days out of seven - the seventh day one stays hungry 'cause you're too tired to cook - travelling with two laptops for 'redundancy'. Mergers, acquisitions, spin-offs. Yuck!

Come on down, you'll soon have a new perspective. It takes about three months to simply figure out what your name was again ;)

Let me know what you do - I sometimes have work that I can 'spin-off'.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Don't forget to agree on the taxi fee UP FRONT. It's ok to give a tip above the agreed upon price. US Dollar = 17 to 20 pesos.
mk

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"US Dollar =17 to 20 pesos"..???????????????????

"MARY" are you living in the "Past"? Or is the "North Shore" that far behind Santo Domingo? 1 US Dollar= 32 pesos here today! Cris colon

cmilliman

Jun 29, 2003
andy a,

Oh, about the motorcycle, 10 or 12,000 pesos for a good Yamaha 100, which is the preferred motorcycle in the countryside, and also by the motorconchos (motorcycle taxis).

10-12,000 pesos? That's only around $400 US...that is pretty cheap....

Thanks much for the info!

Computer-luggage.
Apartment-will be taken care of
Bike-cheap

Well, everyone answered my questions, and provided some additional useful information...

Let the countdown begin :)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Corey: Thank you for your help!

I know you were asking for help, but in the process you've helped me with a questions I had about bringing a computer into the DR.

My move is almost complete, just tying up some loose ends here in Miami, I think 10 more days and I'll be in Sto. Dgo.

People always ask me if my decision is due to A: Need for attention (as someone stated in another thread!) or B: I fell in love with a Dominican.

Neither of those things are true, but I haven't been able to put
my exact thoughts into words...You said it well...

<b><i>I view this as an experience that will allow me to get a new perspective on life. I am very fed up with the rat race of the US, the insane competition for jobs..., and the high cost of living.

I am simply looking to try a new way of life, in yet another country. I may hate it. I may love it. Poverty...black outs...no water pressure...bad water....crime...expensive food...expensive utilities...to some, a sub-standard infrastructure. A different pace, a different culture, a different climate...a different sense of community.

Those good and bad things, regardless of how others view my decision to leave the comfort of the US, will combine to make an experience that will make me a better person...

In my eyes, the only thing I have to lose is money. There's more to be made. </b></i>

Thank you again, and good luck in your adventure!