Travel in August

Sunshyne

Nov 27, 2002
I'm planning to visit RD in August but am having difficulty in finding flights and/or hotels for any place other than Punta Cana/Puerto Plata. My preference is Santo Domingo but I haven't been able to find much. A travel agent I called laughed and said "Who wants to go to Santo Domingo in the summer?!"

Is this typical or just more difficult this year? I've travelled in the summer in previous years, to La Romana airport each time. But there isn't anything for LR until November either!

Does the country come to a grinding halt during summer months?! I would imagine this does not help the country's economic state (but I doubt that is the first thing the airlines/tour operator's consider...)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Part of the scarce availability of seating on flights in August is because of the Pan Am Games taking place in the country during the Aug. 1- 17th. Also, can the travel agent. Regards, PJT

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Flights are available

American Airlines has seats available during the entire month of August. Out of curiosity I checked and found the fare to be US$ 515 from my home base : Chicago->Miami->Santo Domingo.

PJT and Escott nailed it. Either do it yourself or find a more competent travel agent. :)

Swede

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I say do it yourself and do get rid of the travel agent who obviously has no clue.

Too bad you missed the continental sale last week.

Just look around and you will find

Sunshyne

Nov 27, 2002
Thanks for the info. I did some looking myself and did find an American Airlines flight, but as I am travelling from Toronto, it is not the most convenient way to go. I was hoping for a cheap 3-hour charter from Toronto - SD, but that doesn't look like its going to happen. By travelling AA, I fly Toronto - Miami - SD. There are really cheap charters from Toronto to Punta Cana, but I take it the travel from PC to SD is a few hours and will cost upwards of $150 which brings be back to where I started.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Questions

What travel dates are you looking for and what rates are you looking at?

Also what type of place would you like to stay in at the capital? A small hotel, big hotel, etc?

I will pull some info for you if you give me that info and an email address.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Looking for a Miracle Actually

Sunshyne said:
I was hoping for a cheap 3-hour charter from Toronto - SD, but that doesn't look like its going to happen.

You can be sure of that since Toronto to Miami alone is 3 flight hours. Nobody from YYZ is going to SDQ anymore directly - LRM and PUJ are the "IN" places. So fly air only to LRM and take a taxi ( skip PUJ that is a bit far) or fly on AA via MIA or CO via EWR. And it'll cost what it costs.