Opinion on the best area to live on North Coast

Eddy B

Jun 28, 2003
Can anyone give me their opinion on the best area to live on the North Coast and why? Does anyone know how to e mail Sofy's B & B, and when someone wants cheap housing, what is cheap and what is the housing like? Thanks,

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hey Eddy, Welcome to the Jungle!

"Best" is a subjective thing. It's like my ex-wife asking if it was cold out? How the heck do I know? You're freezing at 40 degrees in June and saying what a beautiful day it is at 40 degrees in February. Figure it out yourself.

The question is, best for what? What do you like or want? Low priced housing, lots of girl-friends, drinking, beaches? How much you want one over the other precipitates a slightly different reply. You might go to Cabarete and think the ocean was just not quite the right shade of blue for you, or the coconut palms made to much noise on a windy day in Samana.

My vote is for the area between Sosua and Cabarete.

(I like the coconut noises, and the blue is just right!) :: wink ::

Tom

Eddy B

Jun 28, 2003
reply to Tom

Thanks Tom. I'm 49 and just went through a brutal divorce. I'm looking to relocate to DR just because. I'll be looking for a Time Share sales job (don't hold that against me) and a cheapplace to live. If I get lucky I'll get an offer for 30 days free housing at a resort if they likeme. I'm looking for a beautiful place to live with lots of beach. Of course I'm single now and will be looking at the girls but not ready to affords one yet. Want to live close to employment and be able to meet people who may help me establish myself in the area. The only family I have is a 26 year old son and he insists I live near where the babes are. This is going to be very interesting for me as I am changing my entire life to move to a place I've never been but could use the challenge to get my life started again. Would appriciate any opinion you might have. Thanks, and where do you live?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
To Eddy

See, that helps a lot. Without making any nasty time-share sales jokes I know that there are some places around here looking for folks to do that who speak English ... and Spanigh. So you need to "speaky spany" in the vernacular of Sosewer. I think the Sosua area would be good because it's centrally located between Puerto Plata and Cabarete. Most anything you'd be hawking is in that strip with the exception of a few spots out west in Luperon or East toward Las Terrenas.

There is an announcement I saw the other day for some staff help at Sosua-by-the-Sea for someone who speaks English. Forgot the contact name. They do have a web site, maybe some other board member has that handy? :: hint-hint :: Otherwise it was posted at the EPS office down here. You might ask Angie at s.bservices@codetel.net.do to go read the contact name back to you if you are interested.

I am currently on the 3rd anniversary of my 39th birthday. Have a Domincan wife and family and live on El Choco, about halfway between Sosua and Cabarete in the foothills. See my profile for the web page.

Tom

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hi Eddy B

For time-share and related stuff, look for one of Johnny Honda's posts and pm or e-mail him. He is the Time Share "King" of the board and is very helpful and knowledgable.

Cabarete is quite a happening place for the younger crowd. I like the beach, lots of women and lots of water sports - a wind and kite surfing paradise and you walk down the beach to find girls. Sosua is a little more subdued and seems to attract a little older crowd - beaches are also good if you know where to go. Bars and women are available (or so my male friends tell me). Puerto Plata's city beaches are not so brilliant but there are good beaches further up the coast. Puerto Plata seems to be more AI territory.

Good luck - hope you have some savings as it may take you a long time to get established. Read the archives of this board and learn lessons before you get here. Its no fun to follow a divorce with bankruptcy in the DR..

Eddy B

Jun 28, 2003
thanks

Thanks for the information. Tom, it looks like a great place to live. Nice house. Can you recomend an inexpensive place to live for a while until I begin to work. thanks

Eddy B

Jun 28, 2003
thanks, also

Thanks, Chris. I sent Johnny an e mail yesterday. I hope to get a response. He sounds like the man. It sounds like most of the Time Share projects are in the Sousa-Cabaret area. I hope I can fins a cheap room there for a while. I'm on a very small budget but I'm coming anyway. Thanks,

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
For budgeting purposes, in Cabarete there is a place called Isla Verde where I believe the latest rates are US 125 to 150 a month for a small bachelor apartment. Orilla del Mar is about US 350 for a nice bachelor apartment. Cabarete is an hour away from Puerto Plata and 20 minutes from Sosua. Closer to Puerto Plata I believe you'll also find something for between US 150 and 300 a month.

There are a couple of similar places in Sosua but I leave it to the Sosua folks to suggest something in their area. Sosua would be a good 'mid-point'.

Eddy B

Jun 28, 2003
snake oil

Hey thanks, man. I guess our reputation is world wide. I've spent 25 years in the Time Share business and heard alot of good jokes. I hoping it will be fairly easy to find a job and a cheap place to stay. My divorce about killed me and I'm looking forward to the change. I'd like to find a room to rent for a while but if I get lucky I can get a room on the resort for 30 days as a courtesy. I'm a good closer and shouldn't have a hard time getting work. It's going to be interesting at 49 to start over but what the heck, why not! Any other advice would be appriciated. Thanks, hope to be there next week. Anyone renting cheap rooms in that area? I'm a nice guy and only drink beer if it's cold!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sosua apartments.

There's a place, just off of the main street in Sosua called "Residencial Don Juan". The last time I looked, (2 weeks ago) they were still renting small 1 bedroom apartments, furnished, electricity, gas and cablevision included, for 5,000 pesos/month. (approx $175 US) (TV is not included) A 20" should cost you $200 to $250, brand new, if you know where to shop.
The building has good security and 24 hr. electricity.
There are several other apartments in town,worth looking at, in that price range.
Marco.

Eddy B

Jun 28, 2003
Marco

Thankyou. Can you tell me more about Sousa. How big it is and what's happening there?

abe

Jan 2, 2002
timeshare sales

Eddy--here's what I know about timeshare sales positions in DR. The best place to work is probably not the North Coast, but no matter where you go in the summer you really need Spanish. There is an intra-Caribbean market, especially with Puerto Rico, that heats up in the summer. If you go to Punta Cana, the bilingual salespeople do well and the English- only people do not.

Most of the timeshare stuff in the DR is not on the level, sorry to report, but Punta Cana has enough major companies that you might find legitimate deals. But you need to speak Spanish. It's a great country--in terms of the people, the sights, the attractions, the fresh food, the Presidente, etc. but timeshare there is largely bogus.

If you are committed to the industry and want to work on a level that will allow you to sleep at night, choose wisely. Johnny Honda will help you.

Perhaps the Coral company is a good choice due to their recent affiliation with a major international brand. But the crap that will fall on your head on this board--people are being nice to you for the moment--is due to the reality of the timeshare scams that have been perpetrated in the DR over the years.

Be scared--be very very scared.

Eddy B

Jun 28, 2003
TS

Thanks for the advice. I speak good enough Spanish to sell and have been in the business long enough to recognize a quality resort. I've tried to get ahold of Johnny Honda but haven't gotten a reply yet. Do you know anyone in the business there and could you recommend a quality resort?. Thanks, appriciate it. I'llalso need cheap housing until I get started.