Exit Tax Increase

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The President had decreed, as written in todays Hoy Digital an increase of the exit tax from US$10 to US$20. My feeling this will impact negatively the tourist trade in the country. Each $10 will cost the country hundreds of dollars in lost trade from a potential tourist turned off and away by the new exit tax. It is a policy not well thought out. So what else is new!!!!! Regards, PJT

www.hoy.com.do/?module=displaystory&story_id=10728&format=html

Last edited:

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
It is a policy not well thought out

well, we can all agree that under Hippo nothing is ever well thought out.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I don't think anyone is exempt...

Escott said:
Heck I think it is well thought out! I won't have to pay it:)

Excott

My interpretation is no one will escape this:

El presidente Hip?lito Mej?a dispuso a partir de hoy un aumento de US$10.00, elev?ndolo a US$20.00 o su equivalente en pesos, por la salida de todos los pasajeros nacionales y extranjeros que viajen al exterior, por cualquier v?a.

Maybe it is better thought out than it at first appears. Most air carriers include the exit fee in their fares - - unlike the tourist visa. Doubling the tourist visa fee would be much more noticeable since it is collected in cash and separately from any fares.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
this guys is out of his damn mind!!!

so he raises it from 10 to 20, what is that all about

that just goes to show you that there is no freaking intelligence behind him and his dumb ass presidency.

I bet he pulled the numbers out of his ass

Hippo, " diablo la vaina ta mala aqui, sube ese vaina al doble."

his advisors " su excellencia, esta seguro? el doble? No seria bueno buscar unos economistas y sacar figuras?"

" que que?, pon eso asi y ya, el que no le gute que venga en yola"

this guy is a joke

Dec 9, 2002
When you fly in and out from Britain, certainly on charter flights, both the tourise card and the exit visa are paid for at the airport in cash.

Personally, I can't understand what all the fuss is about. Having to pay an extra $10 certainly won't put me off ever visiting - when you are spending anywhere between $US 12-1600 on a package deal from England, another $10 doesn't even come into the equation.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
the fuss is how things are done.

the money is not the issue. I cannot think of one person that I know that will stop going to DR because of this.

It just makes no sense.

Economics 101

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
not a big deal?

People in the United States are complaining about a 2.50 security surcharge, because at the end it all add up. The Dominican Republic is one of the most expensive destinations to go by air. Look at your tax breakdown, it could go from $90 to $130. And departing from the DR is going to be more expensive, I just booked a ticket for somebody and the base fare was 228 dollars, the tax was 135 dollars...That's a tax rate of more than 50 percent!!!

Dec 9, 2002
Well, travelling from the States and England are obviously totally different.

Currently the DR is the cheapest island in the Caribbean if you are travelling from England. As for 2.50 security charge, I presume that is US$? Flying from here, the charge has just gone up from ?7 (US$10.5) to ?9 (USD13.5) per person.

That said, most people going to DR from England book packages on a charter airline (I don't even think there are any direct scheduled flights) so the actual cost of taxes is buried in the total package cost.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
if u do a package from NYC with a tour company like Apple Vacations, then you do end of saving money.

A lot of people dont liek to do the AI packages because they like to get out and do their own thing.

A flight from NYC to DR for august is over 550 dollars.

that is not cheap at all compared to other destinations.

My real issue is that there is not structured system as to how they do things in DR. He just goes from 10 to 20 which is crazy.

Give yourself this as an example. You buy a can of soda for 1 GBP. Then the soda company announces that due to hiher productins costs, they will raise prices. Now it cost 2 dollars!! you are going to ask yourself what is going on. it just makes no sense

Raising it from 10 to 20 shows they have no clue what they are doing, then again, we knew that already!

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
by the way....

you said it correctly. the price has been raised from ?7 to ?9, not ?14.

skippys

Jan 17, 2003
exit tax increase......

how many "athletes / media / judges / etc. etc." will be EXITING in August....I think "he" thought it through ........ quick killing and then he'll suspend it in the middle of August, change of heart, don't want to hurt the tourist industry........yada yada yada......

johnsr

Bronze
Apr 13, 2002
New Price

Yesterdays price JFK to POP in Nov. $524.00 US
Todays " " " " " " $534.00 US
Doen't take long, does it!
John

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Years ago they did the same thing.
Back in the 80's they jacked up the"salida" to $20 US for a couple of months. Made a killing while everybody bitched then took all the credit for lowering it back to $10.
Anybody care to guess which party was in power when it happened?

bobnoxious

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 2, 2002
Cheap ass bastards...

What's Ten bucks. That's 1.5 beers at a ball game. That's 3 Starbucks lattes. Get over it. Dig down deep and augment the gov't sluts that suck you for all they can. Dominican style!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Stop it ALREADY!!!!

If you want to complain,complain about my 6,500 peso monthly electric bill! I don't have toooooooo much sympathy about your having to pay an additional $10.00 exit fee!;) Cris Colon

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
hahahha

but the question is, are you gonna pay that bill?

lol... j/k

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You know me too well!

I finally got "caught" by the electric company last year! They were installing the new "improved" meters,and found my illegal connection! Well,they sent me a "Fine" of 30,000 pesos.I talked them down to 20,000 paid in 4 installments.Not a bad price to pay for 5 years of free power!I was paying about 3,000 pesos per month,after installing all flourescent lights! The rates kept going up and up until I got a bill for 6,500 pesos! I called my electrician and he re-wired my "Special Switch"! I pay for power during the week,and "shut off" the meter on Friday night,until Monday morning,and all holidays!I regulate my bill to pay what I believe to be my "fair share",abot 3,500 a month! I still don't pay at my apartment,going on 4 years now!;)What A Country!!! Cris Colon :bandit:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
haha too funny

I agree, you still came out winning

Nikki Simon

Nov 10, 2002
Has the departure tax gone up to $20 US already?

I'm a UK passport holder and a resident here. I am travelling back to the UK with a charter company from Puerto Plata. I am leaving within the next week - does anyone know if I will have to pay the departure tax??

Thanks

Nikki