car rental!!!! am I getting ripped off?

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
I am arriving in Santiago next week and I am inquiring about a car rental ...The quote I received is the following = $1300.00 a week for a mini van and $900.00 a week for a car (this is in pesos). I plan to rent for 3 weeks Is this price good or am I being Jerked? Please let me know since time is running out for me. Thanks!!!;)

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
To me in pesos that sounds like a good price. I think we paid something like 1200 pesos for one day of a mini van and 600 pesos for a day for a 4 door huyndi (that was over two years ago)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
I thi k you mean 900 pesos per DAY for the car dont you? I think thats a good price. thats under 30 dollars.

A few weeks ago I paid about 32 dollars per day for a car from national.E-mail National and have them send you a list of what they have available and the prices.

Larry

Last edited:

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
should I ?

So should I rent it ? @ 1,300 a day? theres no way I can get something for cheaper & also what about this extra insurance stuff? this rental thing in DR is a bit complicated should I just taxi all over the place? I heard of this mini van rental call "los pollitos"? (sp)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
lindalyn

I dont know what you want. I am telling you that i think the price you were quoted is a competetive price. If you dont want to pay that and would rather taxi around then thats up to you. As far as insurance goes, I am insured through Visa so I didnt pick up the extra insurance but that is something that you will have to look into and decide for yourself. Cant help you anymore than that. Good luck.
Larry

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
thanks

your right about me not knowing what I want .....but I do thank you very, very much for your input. Thanks ;)

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
The addition insurance for the car was only about 86 pesos it was a drop in the bucket, plus since we used a platimun cc it was also insured through that which was good since we got smashed by a pick-up truck. Yes you can also go about renting a van for a day with driver for about 600-700 pesos a day depending on where you are trying to get to. My parents hired someone (from my village) to actually drive them around so that they didn't have to worry about the crazy drivers. [I should point out here that when we did get smashed by the other pick-up my father was driving, we were on our side of the road and so was the pickup coming around a blind curve at excessive speed]

So it is all relative. Friends of mine once rented a minivan to take us from Santiago to Samana for 600 pesos because it turned out to be cheaper than the bus, plus we made many colomado stops for Presidente!

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
maybe I'll do both :)

Maybe I'll rent a mini van in the weekend and hire the "pollitos " for the weekdays @ 600 pesos a day!!! i think i'll try that...at any rate I will post what i did when i get back .:cool: Thank You guys!!!!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I paid $1200/day for a Honda CRV when I was down there a few weeks ago. If you can get a decent car for 900 pesos a day, to me that's quite a bargain. Even in the US is pretty hard to get anything for less than $30 a day.