First trip to DR

Danno

Jul 2, 2003
Hi!

I'm new here, but have been voyeuristically reading posts for a while now since I'm going to the DR in TWO days. This is kinda the 11th hour to post this, but I figured why not.

I'm heading to the DR with 2 college buds to celebrate the big 3-0! We didn't do much research ahead of planning, but luckily, after reading the posts here, I think we did a decent job. We're flying into SDQ and spending a few days there to observe life in the big city. We're staying in the Zona Colonial, so we should enjoy the sites there. We are then renting a car and driving to Samana for 4-5 days there. We chose the Samana Bay Village (don't ask why, we just picked one). It sounds pretty isolated (actually I can't really find any info on it, but we've talked to them down there), but it's in the middle of the peninsula which will allow us to easily get to Las Galeras, Las Terrenas and such. I especially want to see Playa Rincon, El Limon and Playa El Valle. Oh yea, and Cayo Levantado.

WOW...a question, any other significant sites, beautiful beaches, etc that we should hit while on the peninsula. Also, is it possible to hike up to El Limon, or do we really need to go on horseback.

We're then heading up to Cabarete to take in the party scene after our relaxing days on the beaches of Samana. Then it's back to SDQ to fly home.

I guess if I had any general questions, I would say...where should we eat. We're definitely food lovers, so any local places with fantastic food would be welcome. Also, any recommendations for hotels in Cabarete.

I would welcome any comments about the itinerary or sites to see along the way. I've seen that many of you live in the DR, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can't wait for the trip and sorry for the length of the post.

Thanks,

Danno

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Welcome to the D.R., you will enjoy your visit. Your trip to El Limon, the waterfalls, can be by horse or foot. It is about 1 - 1.5 km from the road. It is a remakable view. I advise, if you mind getting your feet soiled from the heavy pockets of mud after rainfalls along the footpath, horse travel may be more convenient over the pitfalls of walking. Also, negotiate your fee before mounting a horse. Regards, PJT

Danno

Jul 2, 2003
Thanks for the replys.

As far as our budget for Cabarete, we're pretty flexible. The only limitation is that since there are 3 of us, we will need at least two beds, which as I understand, not all places have. Of course, we could always just get two rooms. I guess we'd focus on so-called mid-range hotels. Maybe US$40-80 per night. Does that seem like a reasonable price for the area.

Cheers,

Danno

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Absolutely reasonable range - I would suggest if you have a little time, walk down the road and pick a hotel, go in, look at the rooms and ask for their rates. The town is not too full at the moment and you'll find something very easily in your price range. If you feel better having a reservation, try the Cita del Sol, across the road from the beach area. Large rooms with a bedroom and a kitchen and lounge area with an extra bed. Roomy and you can always ask for two beds in the bedroom. That will give you three beds.

To eat in Cabarete? stroll down the beach and you'll find what your heart desires. Look for a little place called La Casita (we call it Papi's locally) for just the best fish soup and big platters of all kinds of seafood. You'll recognise it by seeing Papi busily stirring pots in the kitchen which is visible and it is just about the only restaurant on the beach that is almost always packed. Only open at night and then only when Papi chooses to open.

Enjoy the trip!

Last edited:

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Cabarete.... ahhhhhhhh

Well, Reading through your post I was about to say... until I see that you are indeed visiting Cabarete. Cabarete is one of the cities that made me fall in love with the DR, I still feel like I have gone to another world when I go there and I am only 30mins away. I would stay at Villa Taina! Wonderful Hotel right in the heart of the city (there are a lot of hotels on the outskirts that have cheaper rates), walk out onto the beach or you can walk out onto the main strip. Website: http://www.villataina.com/ Rates right now are $50 to $80 and I think they have a room with two twin beds (which they call a King because they are pushed together) and a pull out sofa.

While you are there, eat at LAX. It is right on the beach and you can get the Dominican Special Plate and a Presidente or Hamburgers or anything else you desire. You can eat on the beach or on there balcony or in their establishment. We sat out there all night long playing cards and drinking, really was quite fun. There is also a great little Italian Restaurant with wonderful Tiramisu, although I forget its name, also directly on the beach.

Also if you plan on being in the Cabarete area on a Thursday or Sunday night. Join in the pub crawl (more info on www.popreport.com) which seems to be much fun. We are taking my best friend on it when she arrives at the end of July.

Let's see... what else can I think of? (Should I be a travel agent??) Enjoy your time in the capital, it really is wonderful and Zona Colonial has some of the quaintest gift shops.

Remember when you come that everything is negotiable, so you do not always have to take what they offer. Also, wear your seatbelt when you drive, because if you do not, you will get pulled over and it is a mess. My husband gets hit every time he comes here.

Let me know if I can be of any other help!
picklenoseboo@netscape.net

Last edited: