location of equestrian/show jumping

windstorm

Jun 26, 2003
I have tried to find the location of the equestrian events, which are at the Palmarejo Equestrian Centre, Duarte Hwy km 15, on map, or at least find out which direction they are in from Santo Domingo. I know they are 65 minutes from the athlete's village, but that doesn't tell me where they are.

Can anyone help?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
North of Santo Domingo along Duarte Highway. Take a right at Cerinca ceramics factory was told. This Sunday will go take a look to have precise directions for our readers.

windstorm

Jun 26, 2003
Thank you Dolores. Is there another name for Duarte Highway. I cannot find it on a map! Will look forward to more information after Sunday.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
windstorm said:
Is there another name for Duarte Highway. I cannot find it on a map!

Autopista Duarte is also known as Route 1. You can click on the link that follows for an online map that shows the major roads in the DR.

DR Map Here.

Swede

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Palmarejo equestrian center is 25 kilometers from the crossing of J F Kennedy Avenue (Autopista Duarte) and Winston Churchill -- so that makes it less than 30 kilometers from the Juan Pablo Duarte Olympic Center. From there, it should be another 15-20 kilometers to the athletes village.

There are two ways to get there, but the longer route is the one to take. Earlier, we had indicated about turning right at the Cerinca ceramics factory. Yes, you can get there that way, but that takes you through poor barrios -- not a safety problem, just the road is a dirt one (taxis wont go that way because it's hard on the car) and if you are into poverty, this is the one to take. From that entrance it's two kilometer trip to Palmarejo. Just ask at any intersection.

The way to go is 18 kilometers from the Winston Churchill crossing, turn right at the La Concretera sign (in front of Almacenes Almonte on the other side of the road). Head in the direction to the Palamara-Union Fenosa power plant (note it is about 5 kms inland). Shortly right before getting to the power plant, you will see a road to the right. There is a sign about the construction of transmission lines -- that's where you want to turn. That's the one to take. Went up on Sunday and it still needed paving, but a road superviser said they would be done shortly. May I say this drive is lovely. Bamboo fences on the way, lots of greenery. Inspirational. After about 5 kms of the road, it brings you to Palmarejo equestrian center. You can see it in the distance prior to getting there.

May I say that this complex looks like a first class equestrian center. Lovely views. But to the untrained eye, looks like they would need another three months to finish it. Was told the ground work is done, which supposedly is what is most time consuming. On Sunday the roofs were not up on the buildings. When we were there trucks with grass were coming in for planting. And given the rains in the area -- these should help the grass to grow quickly, although I'm sure they wont help the miracle of finishing the needed construction. These people need to perform big miracles to finish this center in time. But, of course, miracles are possible.

So, the place to stay is in Santo Domingo (not Boca Chica), but expect to pay quite a bundle on taxis. Would be best to rent a car or share taxis. Best a hotel in the Naco area -- colonial city or Malecon puts you on the south side of town.

Kay

Jul 8, 2003
hotel near horses

Ok, now we have good directions, Thanks BTW. I am looking for a Budget room. I'm not picky I can do without air-conditioning and share a bathroom. I have some spanish, and my freinds say the word I want is "barato." I can even sleep in a hamock if that gets me closer. I will be working, so I don't plan to spend much time in the room and I can ruff it when i need to. The question is can I get close? Then SWF seeks NS roommates.

Last edited: