A Trujillo For President

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenMindUSA

"They uh, was givin' me, 10,000 watts a day, you,
Jul 2, 2003
I would like to have some feedback on the idea of a presidential candidate - political party- with the last name Trujillo, related to the ex-Dictator, raised in the USA to run in the near future.

Your opinion please!

for further discussion & / or affraid to go public, e-mail me anytime.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Was this (real or theoritical) person born in the US? If so running for presidency is out of the question. If not, then I suppose he/she is a direct descendant from the dictator, too close to him to be accepted by the society. And running on the shoulders/memory of the dictator won't help at all.

But then we have the oddball longing for the trains to run on time again - so to speak. He/she could get a few hundred votes.

Last edited:

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Hmmmmm

I think the name will be detract from this persons campaign above all else.

However I also think if someone can prove that they can stabilize the peso, eliminate the deficit and develop the country properly while not stealing from the country they have a chance at being elected.

Then again... I also voted for Bush...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Re: Hmmmmm

[B]GirlieGirl[/B] said:
However I also think if someone can prove that they can stabilize the peso, eliminate the deficit and develop the country properly while not stealing from the country they have a chance at being elected.
And how can they prove that? They can promise... but all politicians do. Trust me, ain't gonna happen.

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Well, I actually know one of his relatives in Miami, from the Martinez side. They would laugh at the idea. Last I heard, Angelita was broke but quite happy in the exiled Miami community.

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
About 3 years ago, the List?n ran an interview with the son of Trujillo by Lina Lovaton. It was really gross, with the interviewer fawning and gushing all over him, and she actually asked the question, would he ever consider running for public office in the DR? If I remember correctly, he denied any such aspirations, but in a very cagey way, as if to suggest that he would leave all doors open.

I know that the sins of the father are not the fault of the son, but still...treating the son of an assasinated, miserable dictator in such a superficial way (comments about the whiteness of his bath robe against the golden tones of his skin) seemed really inappropriate, and the fact that there could even BE such an interview makes me think that todo es posible.....

Edited to say it was the whiteness of his bath robe, not his bathroom....oops.

Last edited:

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Dominican Republic is teetering on the verge of being a failed state due to the legacy of Trujillo. Recent democratic experience has missed on important factor: a true democrat. Sure, you can kill the head of the snake, Trujillo in this case, but if you leave the bureaucracy and institutions intact, you keep the same unfortunate traditions. Balaguer ruled with the trappings of democratic values, but he was far from a democrat: he stole elections, neutralized people and censored the press. Hippo seems to have ambitions of being the new Balaguer, but there is only one problem- Balaquer was smart and clever, a master manipulator. Additionally, Balaguer benefited from a tightly controlled national media. Unfortunately for Hippo, he can't shut down the Internet. Information will get out no matter what keystone cop measures he takes. Too bad we don't have journalists like Orlando Martinez anymore, willing to put their lives at risk for the truth. Dios nos salve a todos en este pais.

Last edited:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
A true democracy is a bunch of crap. It'll never work, just like Communism didn't work for the USSR. When the choices are left in the hands of the majority people can't make up their damn minds so everything breaks down soon afterwards. Ancient Greece tried a true democracy but everything sounds so much more positive in theory and we know how that turned out. We don't need a true democrat in DR, we need a statesman with balls to do what needs to be done as soon as possible. If you don't understand what I said, this speech will help clear things up a bit. Just my $100 pesos (which is what two cents will be worth when I go down there:eek: )

goatfarmnga

Bronze
Jun 24, 2003
A trujillo for president

I am studying DR for my upcoming move there. Just want to say Thanks for the great political views at DR1. I am picking up some history and muy mal espanol.. Gracious por su tiempo :) Pam

Brien

Jun 30, 2004
Trujillo Children

Jane J. said:
About 3 years ago, the List?n ran an interview with the son of Trujillo by Lina Lovaton. It was really gross, with the interviewer fawning and gushing all over him, and she actually asked the question, would he ever consider running for public office in the DR? If I remember correctly, he denied any such aspirations, but in a very cagey way, as if to suggest that he would leave all doors open.

I know that the sins of the father are not the fault of the son, but still...treating the son of an assasinated, miserable dictator in such a superficial way (comments about the whiteness of his bath robe against the golden tones of his skin) seemed really inappropriate, and the fact that there could even BE such an interview makes me think that todo es posible.....

Edited to say it was the whiteness of his bath robe, not his bathroom....oops.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As Ramfis died in 2002 at the age of 51 - he would have been a good 'conceptual President' for the USA - yet knowing him for a few years -
it is my Opinion he would not have chosen the Office easily .

If there are any printed interviews etc. about Ramfis or Raphael - Mercedes or Claudia - I'd enjoy seeing these .

Trujillo Children

I attended a Military High School with
Ramfis and Raphael during the late
1960s.

Met the sisters Mercedes & Claudia during
a Furlough Weekend in NYC .

Ramfi filled in on Bass Guitar when I couldn't
make it for the Stage Dance Band .

At School - they were just as anyone else -
you got what you earned .

Ramfis graduated as a Lt.

He was what I term 'real' - not
a pretentious person - somewhat
philosophical - mostly 'content' .

His Favorite Car as I recall is the
Bizzarini Strata - of which I found
a photo of many years later -

I just this evening found that he has passed
as of 2002 - in Miami .

Only one publication carried the news -

as well - he had been married and has
two daughters -

If anyone can provide further informations
or photos - : Thanks in Advance !

best -

Brien.
NEW YORK

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
Brien said:

As Ramfis died in 2002 at the age of 51 - he would have been a good 'conceptual President' for the USA - yet knowing him for a few years -

If there are any printed interviews etc. about Ramfis or Raphael - Mercedes or Claudia - I'd enjoy seeing these .

Trujillo Children

1960s.

as of 2002 - in Miami .

two daughters -

best -

Brien.
NEW YORK

Brien

Please note that Ramfis Trujillo, son of El Jefe, died in the year 1969. His son was the one who died in the year 2002.

sedaine

Aug 29, 2004
Brien said:

Trujillo Children

1960s.

as of 2002 - in Miami .

two daughters -

best -

Brien.
NEW YORK

What are Raphel, Mercedes and Claudia becomming?

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
think of the benefits...

FuegoAzul21 said:
a trujillo for president wouldnt be that bad , but some modifications could help

May I suggest the TALIBAN...

They're just eager to get back to work and won't ask for much; The only ones that'll suffer will be the tourists lookin' for a goo-time with local women. It'll be hard to tell what they look like when they start wearing their veils and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.