Cost of living

Forrest

Jun 28, 2003
www.theveits.com
I am seriously considering moving to the DR along with my son and grandson, when I retire within this next year. I have heard various figures that I would need to live there. Eventually I would like to purchase a 3 or 4+ bedroom home with a good view of the water, if not on the water. I would also like to be able to afford a housekeeper as well as a grounds keeper.

I would appreciate any figures from you fine folks that are already there. Also would like to know of problems with having a steady water flow, electricity, internet, etc.

I will be on a fixed retirement income so it is important to set up a budget prior to my move. I am looking at the Sosua area.

Thanks for your help!

Forrest

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hi Forrest,

This board has a massive amount of material on "cost of living".

If you use the search function you will find thousands of posts covering this topic.

When you have researched the archives here, come back with your specific questions and we will give you detailed specific answers. Right now you questions are way to broad.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
well......

Robert is right, it is still too broad of a post. After living in the US, living in Santo Domingo and now living in Costambar. I avidly support the statement that you can live in the Dominican Republic on ANY amount of money (okay not a dollar or something so small) it all depends on how you want to live. If you go out to eat every day then the expenses are high. Then again if you eat the Plato Del Dia at restaurants it is probably cheaper then cooking at home. You can rent places on the North Coast from $200 a mo to $3500 a mo. Depending on what you want (apt/villa/house) whether it has AC or not or many other things.

The best thing for you to do is determine your monthly budget and how much you plan to spend here and then people can tell you how comfortable you may or may not be able to live.

As for the utilities... as you read (if you read the old posts)... electricity is a luxury here unless you have a generator or some type of individual power plant. Blackouts are back and are as sparatic as ever. Water flow seems good, have only "run out" of water here once in the 6 months I have been living on the island. Our water goes out when the power goes out though because the water is a septic tank... the Internet here is awesome in my eyes, if you can get it. I have Codetel.. flash... and it goes out maybe once a month which is more than I can say for my Internet service in the US.

Houses on the water are pricy (for Dominican Houses). Point blank the house cost here is cheaper than that of where I lived in the US, but then again I lived in one of the highest cost of living counties in the country.

For example... I saw recently... in Sosua with a beautiful view not on the ocean but overlooking it... a beautiful house that in Maryland would have cost (minus the view) a million +... here they are asking $300,000.... good deal in my eyes... but then again there are much cheaper properties here as well.

Link to the house if you are interested:

http://www.internationalhomes.org/rm/listings/l0091.html

Hope my nonsense helps...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A couple of quick responses:

1. To have a steady flow of electricity you must either have your own backup generator (called "planta" in the DR) or live in a condo complex that has a good generator. Government power cannot be depended on.

2. As GirlieGirl said, houses on the water are expensive. Less expensive than in the US or the othe Caribbean islands, but still pricey. And 3 or 4 bedrooms is going to limit your selection. I suggest you email Dean Brown, the Century 21 representative for the Sosua area, and get his input about the availability and price of houses that meet your specifications. wandabrown@codetel.net.do

3. Housekeeper and gardner very affordable in the DR. Many people have one or both.

4. Internet available anywhere you have a telephone. Faster DSL service is available in some but not all parts of the greater Sosua area.

Forrest

Jun 28, 2003
www.theveits.com
Thanks for the replys. I have been emailing Dean Brown with some questions. I am looking for a home for approx. $120,000 to $140,000 with approximately $100,000 downpayment. I would like to have at least a home with a good view of the water and with at least 3 bedrooms and a pool. Good water and power (even with a backup unit are a must). I hear that the house keepers are also good cooks. Thus, I would expect to have most all meals at home and only eat out from time to time.

I have been told that Sousa is a great place but I am sure that there are other areas nearby that are also good to live in and are secure.

With my grandson being just 14 when we move I will need to be somewhere where he can attend an English speaking High School.

My retirement along with Social Security will be in the neighborhood of $1,700.00 per month. Is this sufficent for me to live on there with what I am looking for?

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
1700 a month should cut it just fine, just dont underestimate the cost of getting your property set up properly... Taxes, fees, generator, battery bank, invertor, landscapeing, broken items fixed, bars on windows, vehical purchase, etc

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
sjh said:
1700 a month should cut it just fine, just dont underestimate the cost of getting your property set up properly... Taxes, fees, generator, battery bank, invertor, landscapeing, broken items fixed, bars on windows, vehical purchase, etc
And keeping 3 people that aren't working happy? 400 bux a week? I would think a little more.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
OMG...

I just posted a three page thread and my session expired and I lost all that I typed! Yuck... I do not want to recreate the entire thing!

To make a long story short...

1700 should be okay except you are supporting three people (will the son be working)

No english public schools on the north coast to my knowledge so you will have to pay for private school

You may want to look into investing your money and living off of the interest and rent for awhile until you find the right house at the right price, because if I were you... if you cannot pay the entire thing in cash... DO NOT BUY IT! Do not utilize the financing over here.... it is nothing to utilize. You should be able to find what you want in your price range (just not on the water)... you may just have to bide your time.

Have you looked at various realty sites? There is Century 21 and Remax North Coast as well as a host of others. Also visit popreport.com and sosua.com they usually have great links and resources. Join the Sosua Yahoo Group, a real great bunch of people.

Keep in mind that the move is a pain and costly. I would suggest selling everything you can there (furniture wise) and buying all new here. As my husband is currently saying "Heather, if it does not fit in a box it is not coming!!!" The price to get stuff over here is from US is expensive (and I am talking about just the shipping). The only indulgence he is allowing me is my dishes (I collect China and my Mikasa collection is extensive).

Also talk to Mr. Guzman from the legal so he can give you an estimate for three residencies. It is my understanding that your grandson will need that before he can start any school here.

Hope this helps and sorry about the other post... it was much more in depth!

Heather

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If your total income will be $1,700/month and must cover ALL of your personal expenses plus fees for the schooling of your grandson, fulltime housekeeper/cook, gardner, pool, etc., a lot of money is being spent before you get to the basics.

I think you should spend some time in the DR thoroughly investigating the alternatives and financial implications before it is too late. You need to do a lot of work with a sharp pencil before you finalize any plans. Your income won't be enough for all of your dreams.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I just re-read your post. You want up to a 40k mortgage.

Did you know that your 1700 dollar income will go to servicing the mortgage and leave only a few hundred a month left over?

30+% interest rates in the DR.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Yep Yep

Escott,

You are right. That is why I stated tht if he does not buy it cash, do not buy it at all.

Heather

Forrest

Jun 28, 2003
www.theveits.com
Thanks to each of you for your candid responses. You each have given me some good things to consider. I will continue to do research with the hope that I will be able to make some sound decisions prior to a move.

Forrest

bpwspoon

Aug 25, 2006
Just started reading the post - contemplating moving to Sousa in the very near future - hubby and I are retiring. Searching the internet for different resorts - so far Caribe Campos seems to be interesting - does anyone have any thoughts on this particular resort? If not the resort, then any info on the area that it's located would be a great help. Planning on traveling in the near future so time is of the urgency here. Please help!!! Never been out of the U.S.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
My response is the same as it was back in this 2003 post - come here & RENT for 6 months before buying. You need to get to know how the country & it's people 'tick' before buying PLUS find out who are the honest & honourable players in the housing market.

Do you KNOW you will like living in the DR? Many thought likewise but decided to leave after 2 years (sometimes less) because they were unable to accept the culture differences! It is EASY to buy a home - much more difficult to SELL it though!! ~ Grahame.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
My response is the same as it was back in this 2003 post - come here & RENT for 6 months before buying. You need to get to know how the country & it's people 'tick' before buying PLUS find out who are the honest & honourable players in the housing market.

Do you KNOW you will like living in the DR? Many thought likewise but decided to leave after 2 years (sometimes less) because they were unable to accept the culture differences! It is EASY to buy a home - much more difficult to SELL it though!! ~ Grahame.

This thread is 3 years old so the figures you read in it may not apply now.

I agree 100% with BushBaby. Rent first and in different places. Take your time. Also, I feel if you are going to buy, buy in an area with a decent turnover so if you decide to sell, you will be able to. If you are going to buy a place out in the campo, etc. you better make sure you want it and want to keep it because you just might be married to it forever.

I saw where you said you have never been out of the U.S.? Then you really better forget about buying and just get here and look around first.

Larry

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
take the time

agree with previous posts. Take your time, rent for 6 months to a year and scout around.

you might find the right spot and way of life that will fit in your up front budget and monthly allowance BUT keep in mind that DR is a country where cost of living is going UP. Your $1,700 will be worth less and less after the years.

3 things to remenber:

1) cost to come
2) cost to live
3) cost to leave, usually the tricky one.

G