I want a puppy!

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Okay... does someone want to help?

I want a puppy so bad, however my husband is limiting my breeds cause he says "he does not want a yappy dog". So... I know there are places in the capital, but I am in Costambar. Is their any place or anyone selling puppies? Breeds him and I agreed on are Staffordshire Terriors (Pitbulls), Dobermans, Presa Canarios, Italian Mastiffs, Boxer... he pretty much wants a guard dog and not a Rottweiler or German Shepherd (husband has bad allergies and short haired dogs are better). Are their any stores/breeders/people selling these breeds or other breeds I may have overlooked?

Thanks in advance....

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Believe it or not a Standard Poodle and Giant Schnauser would fit the bill for what you are looking for.

I am a German Shepherd kind of guy myself and had one of the largest breeding kennels in the US many years ago but if I had your needs I would pick one of the above.

Both breeds are used in Police work and crowd control in many countries. Both do NOT shed. I use to build new dogs with the shedding of my Shepherds by adding a nose and eyes:) If you do get one of these types I would be happy to do some training with you. Haven't done it in years but it is like riding a horse.

I had two demo dogs when I was in the business. I had a German Shepherd Bitch and a Lhaso Apso Male. When people use to come to look at puppies on Sundays I would put them in a waiting room with the two dogs. When I was finished with the people before them I would walk into the room as they were playing with the dogs and say, "both of them are completely guard and attack trained". They would all call me a liar:)

I then gave Demos. I had the Lhaso completely attack trained and he would actually think he saw God, hit a sleeve and try and rip it off:) The Shepherd was also attack trained but was also a trick dog. I use to have her jump in my arms on command. Now that is cute with the Toy Poodle but AWESOME with the German Shepherd:)

What can I tell you, I have that sort of personality!

I was going to recommend a Besenji who doesn't bark but doesn't fit the protection type. I think you want something that will bark to warn off potential breakins.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Go & talk with the vet supply shop on the corner of Emlio Prud'Homme & Anterra Mota in the centre Puerto Plata. He usually has a number of breeds & will look round for you specific breeds if he doesn't have what you want in stock. You could also try the vets place in Camino Real, now run by a Dutch lady I believe!!
Your BEST bet would be to ring Noelle at Sofy's B & B who organises the local animal rescue operation - you may get something better than a "Puppy", something that is already trained & looking for a caring home!! Puppies are cute - Sure, but dogs of one or two years old that have been neglected & unloved previously, can become the BEST friend you EVER have - AND ever so protective of you!!
I won't go into the demands a big dog has for walks & attention etc., I am sure you have considered that, but DO be careful not to "Hem" the dog in to a small apartment whilst you are out, that would be terribly unkind on the dog!!

Good Hunting - Grahame.

Speed Racer

Jul 5, 2003
If your husband is looking for a specific type of breed, he probably has his reasons. The dogs that you mentioned all bark, which is a good thing to ward off potentail ner'do wells. See if a Argentine Dogo can be found. It is a gorgeous dog, very smart and very large. I personally believe that a large dog can be a deterant just by its appearance.

My $.02

No Names :beard:

"Si la vida te de limones, hay que hacer limonada."

Last edited:

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Thank you

Thank you all for your help. I had no clue that there was even a pet shop in the city. I have looked in the phone book and online and found nothing. I will try and check it out on Monday as I am sure that it is closed by now.

I completely understand about the adoption process. We have adopted 4 dobermans from the humane society in the US. All were so sweet and so greatful. We have never had a puppy and would love to have one from the very beginning, however we will keep the possibility of adopting one in mind.

Escott, thank you for the information and I will store that away for follow up after we obtain a puppy.

Yes, Speed Racer.... I KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! ;)

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
We plan to breed out Doberman next time around. She is a really good dog and a neighbor has an awesome male we want to breed her with. It will be a while though, and we are in Santo Domingo. We also have a Dauschund we want to breed, but they are sort of a yappy dog although they are a pretty good guard and good with kids. Our Dauschund once kept four thieves armed with a slingshot out of our house alerting the girl who was staying in the house to the intrusion.

monaco09

Jun 4, 2003
Maybe someone can help out here. I just saw at the Playero in Sosua an ad for really nice looking Doberman puppies. I can't get you the number but I am sure it is still up. If someone goes there in the next while...

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
:)

Anything would help... we found one puppy to nice parents (Dobie) he has since then been sold and they will not be breeding them anymore due to age. I was told of a good breeder in Santiago that a store hear can get me one, but they say they parents are not available for viewing.

Anything would be good.... still looking overseas for the Dogo Argentino (SOOOO CUTE) but they are so expensive.

Thanks