Ceramic Tile Installation

Portofino

Jun 29, 2003
I was going to relocate to the DR last year; had to postpone. I am now considering the move later this year. Is there demand for Tile installation? Any insight? Thanks...:cool:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are a lot of Dominicans doing this. Ceramic tile used extensively in most homes, so this field is already well covered. If you decided to compete, you would have to meet the local prices, which are probably lower than what you are accustomed to.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Costs

Escott, why the ouch? 150-200 Pesos per day is a cheap rate for labor considering costs of these times. If you were to have the same work done in the states, you would be paying more than US$20 per hour.

If you are having someone do the work for you, it should be priced upon cost per sq.meter, rather than daily labor. Contracted workI had done three mouths ago were priced for sq.meter at RD$ 300 for the floors, 350 for kichen and bath walls, at 45 for baseboard trim.

Portofino, tile installation in the D.R. is a major construction industry. If you have something to offer in the way of tile installation, you need to market yourself in a way (quality) to beat back your competition. Regards, PJT

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Ouch is that I would hate working that hard for so little money.

As a person that wants work done I am glad it is as inexpensive as that. This guy probably gets per sq. Ft. more than than get per sq meter where he comes from.

Portofino

Jun 29, 2003
To: PJT

I have a level of expertise I have not seen offered on the North Coast. I would hire some men to work for me and for me to supervise, as I do here in the states. I'm not sure I would want to do it in the DR, however, I do know the business, and how to make money. What would remain to be seen is if people have the money, or are willing to spend the money to get a job the quality as in the US. I have seen oustanding work in SD.

At $300 pesos per sq. mtr., did you get a high quality job? If it was passable, perhaps you would have paid more for top work. Did you purchase the tile locally? Or Santiago? Also, design plays an important factor in what people will pay. Once my clients get educated on design options and layout, lowest price pays little part in their purchase decision.

Of course, I know my market here, in Sosua area, I'd have to cater to a little more affluent consumer who for a little more, wanted an up to date look...Bob

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hurry back then! If I don't get my kitchen remodel and tiling done as soon as my office is finished in a few weeks Alba's going to kill me!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Portofino, I did get a high quality job. Better than what I have observed in the East area. We (wife and I) had finish work done for an investment property to include tiles, plumbing, electrical, woodwork, windows, and blah,blah,blah. The person we contracted was the original engineer of the construction, the house was purchased unfinished, the original owner had no interest to complete the project for whatever his reason, his loss our gain.

We had visited with various engineers and specialty contractors requesting estimates to perform finish work to the property. After reviewing all the estimates and taking time to look at some of their previous works we decided on the original. We are paying somewhat above the standard, we believe. However, we have received much better than average, if not excellent, quality and workmanship due to the diligence and whole project oversight of the engineer.

The tile, Italian, was purchased in Hiquey. The workmanship is great. The floors are level and the walls true and square.

Portofino, Good Luck!!! Regards, PJT

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
"True" and "Square"

How do you translate those words into Spanish? My guy uses a level on top of a string - with the level sideways. I still haven't figured out what he learns from that little number. So now I just supervise - constantly.

Welcome to the DR. I'm an engineer!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Re: "True" and "Square"

XanaduRanch said:
So now I just supervise - constantly.

"Isn't life a bitch here!" You cannot even get a straight up plumb line. You need to supervise the supervisor.

That is why it is a rare find to get quality work without yourself having to hire, train, guide, supervise, and fire the tradesmen during a work in progress. Regards, PJT