Trying to move to Dominican Republic

flyboy

Jul 5, 2003
I am an American citizen born in NYC. Both of my parents were born in the Dominican Republic. I am desperatly trying to aquire a dominican cedula (the offical dominican ID) as well as a dominican passport in addition to my U.S. passport because of a job opportunity that I have in the DR. As I understand, articles 11 of the Dominican constitution states that I am dominican and article 12 declares me a dominican citizen after 18 years of age. I am currently 23 and was now wondering if anyone knows if it is at all possible for me to aquire the cedula and dominican passport for the firt time from here in NYC without having to go to the DR?

I would appreciate any info on this.

flyboy

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for the info Girligirl. I actually have both of my parents original birth certificates from the Dominican Republic authenticated at the Junta Central Electoral. I am now going to get my birth certificate notarized and translated into spanish at the Dominican Consulate in NYC. Thats two out of the three steps taken care of but before I hop on the next flight I need to understand what exactly do you mean about the affidavit prepared by a notary public. Do you mean by a notary public in the Dominican Republic? I am assuming so, because why then would I have to go to the Dominican Republic. So if it is the Dominican Republic, where exactly? What department? In which city? How long did it take your husband and how much did this service cost him? I am curious to know how long did it take him to get nationalized and get his dominican identification card (cedula) once he was actually there?

I would also like to know if he received a Dominican birth certificate?

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Look, this is the D.R., not N.Y. Firckin' C.

With all due respect to everybody here, come on down, pay a lawyer (e-mail me for names) US$850 or so, rent a nice spot and chill. You'll have everything you need in a month regardless of your heritage and just have to go to S.D. to sign your Cedula.

Problem solved.