Travel from Sto. Domingo to Las Terrenas

arminvit

Jul 5, 2003
Hello, I'm new here ? so be gentle ;)

What is the best way to travel from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas? I'm open to all options at this point: bus or airplane. I'll be there later this month.

Another piece of advice that would be nice is, if it is really worth it going to Las Terrenas and spending 3 days? Is Samana better to spend 2-3 days and take a day trip to Terrenas.

Thanks so much!
Armin

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are open to all options, then fly to the small airstrip at El Portillo. No lights, so you need to get there during daylight.

Both are worth visiting; each quite different from the other.

You can also get to Las Terrerans by taking the Caribe Tour or Metro from Santo Domingo to Sanchez (the town before Samana), then take one of the vehicles (possibly a pickup truck) that meet the buses in Sanchez to take people to Las Terrenas. Comfortable (at least until Sanchez) and much cheaper than flying, but not nearly as fast.

arminvit

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for the info Ken, just a couple more questions if you don't mind,

>>If you are open to all options, then fly to the small airstrip at El Portillo.

I was reading somewhere that I would need to fly out of Herrera airport for that option, is it possible to buy tickets in advance on the web or by phone? Once in El Portillo is it easy to get to Las Terrenas?

>>Comfortable (at least until Sanchez) and much cheaper than flying, but not nearly as fast.

Is it really that bad from Sanchez to Las Terrenas? I'v read some threads here that sound like real nightmares.

Thanks again.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Presume you can make arrangements in advance, but don't know what they are. I suggest you start another thread with the title and subject matter relative to making advance arrangements to fly to El Portillo.

The strip at El Portillo is for Las Terrenas. El Portillo is a resort in that area. You should be able to get a cab to your hotel with no difficulty.

No, getting to Sanchez not bad. Or at least I wouldn't consider it bad because I am accustomed to traveling that way having lived here for many years. But Someone coming from North America or Europe who is accustomed to traveling everywhere in their car or other relatively deluxe means of transport would find it very different than what they are used to.

Of course, those same people probably prefer an AI and stay on the grounds for the entire visit.