Expired DR Passport?

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
Is it true that you need to get a new passport before departure from NY to DR if you have a Dominican Passport? My husband has a Dominican Passport and it expired in 1997 and he wants to renew it in Santiago, DR because it is cheaper, but i called the DR consulate here in NYC and he said that he will not be able to fly with it expired? is this true? Thanks guys !

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you want a response by the Dominican lawyer who answers legal questions, you should post this in the Legal section. That is the only section he monitors.

My personal opinion is that yes, he must have valid documents. Can he travel as a US citizen and enter the DR that way, or doesn't he have the benefit of dual citizenship?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
HUGE Problem with the Airlines

lindalyn said:
Is it true that you need to get a new passport before departure from NY to DR if you have a Dominican Passport? My husband has a Dominican Passport and it expired in 1997 and he wants to renew it in Santiago, DR because it is cheaper, but i called the DR consulate here in NYC and he said that he will not be able to fly with it expired? is this true? Thanks guys !

AA or CO or whoever has to be sure you have entry documents so they'd likely say no if that is all he had. They face a fine of some large amount if they handle passengers without documentation. Since he is apparently living legally in the US he must have a Green Card, will they admit a Green Card holder with a DR Birth Certificate ? Maybe ask the conulsate that.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
He can travel with his expired passport and renew it in the Dominican Republic. I believe he can even renew it at the airport of entrance, for much less than at the Dominican Consulate. This information was provided following a call to the Department of Migration. The Migration officer's actual reply to the question was: "Claro! Est? entrando a su pa?s." (Of course. He is entering his country.)

Last edited:

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Go for it.

An expired passport is allowed when entering the DR. My wife has travelled to the DR several times on an expired Dominican Passport. She would then get it renewed locally.

The last time she entered the DR (Las Americas) on an expired passport was April, 2002. Passport had been expired for 10 years! They didn't even look at it twice.

Swede

lindalyn

Feb 15, 2003
THANK YOU !!!!!!!

Thank you all for your response. I also asked around here & someone told me to leave with it expired and renew it in DR....ITS MUCH CHEAPER!!! We are going for it !!! I'll post all about it when we come back !!! Thank you all again !!!
Linda :cool:

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Just have a $20usd handy incase you need to give it a little "nudge" through!!!!!!!